The nostalgia! Ahhh

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
Olive
Awesomeness Quotient: Haha
Primary language: English and French
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Pansexual

The nostalgia! Ahhh

Unread post by Olive »

Hey there, Scarleteen!
  • It is so amazing to be back on this site again! I'm still in awe due to the fact that this site is already 20 YEARS OLD. What a fantastic milestone, ain't it? Anyway, I am kind of surprised that I decided to join this site at this time around... I almost forgotten that it has existed. Lol. But I couldn't allow it! I was babysitting my adorable niece the other day, and I suddenly started thinking about her future in this corrupt world and that she'll have to face the normal challenges of being a teenager one day. If I had to be honest, I think I almost shed a tear or two. I was always 100 steps ahead, thinking of her years to come!

Then, all the edgy memories of my teens years began flooding in... Oh man, blasting Evanescence 'till the light of dawn. Lol. Basically, throughout the hours of taking care of this precious 5-month old angel, I reminisced about my past and how I had access to a limited amount of resources. Growing up in a rather religious family with close-minded views, I felt pretty much hopeless throughout middle school and high school. I realized that I wasn't able to discuss about topics that I felt uncomfortable about at the time; such as masturbation, sex, my sexuality, and etc. It was almost as if I was confined in a space where teenager gone rogue spent time in. I was constantly neglected, and treated as if I was never a part of the family. From there, I began to lose the people who I felt the most comfortable around: my friends, and my current girlfriends at the time-- it was quite humiliating, as I tried so hard to put the blame on myself.

Then, I found this gorgeous site! (To be completely fair, it wasn't exactly the beauty back then... But now, HOT DAMN!) I literally went on a journey of self-discovery through this site, which is still hard to comprehend at 25. Relying on a forum to settle my worries. But that is exactly how helpful you guys have been to me over the years! Hell, I never thought I would be back. But here I am... And all I can say is:

Thank you.

For the memories, for the times you allowed my screen to soak up all the tears I got in my teenage years, and for reaching out to me when nobody else in this world would. By reading all the useful information on this site, and for asking questions regarding my own physical/mental health, I was able to come to terms to my own safety. I realized what abuse was from this site. I was able to investigate signs of rape from this site. I found my identity on this badass site! I'm tearing up just writing this aaaaaa. I guess I haven't really changed from my teen years, huh?

Please keep doing what you're doing. Please keep turning a child/teen/adult's day into a memorable one. Please don't stop being as resourceful and helpful as you are now! This site wouldn't be here without the amazing staff and volunteers and its own user base that I could relate my problems to, so thank you!

Thank you for making me feel human in a time when I needed it most!

Now, I live in a beautiful and big city in Canada away from all the toxicity and negativity in my life. Closer to the ones I put my love into the most, and to the happiness that I couldn't find without you.

Now, I hope I can help my niece now to the best of my ability to grow up into a beautiful person in this world from all your help. <3
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: The nostalgia! Ahhh

Unread post by al »

Olive,

Thank you so much for this incredibly sweet message. I'm so glad to hear that Scarleteen was helpful for you when you were younger. I too used Scarleteen, when I was young and sexually confused preteen, and while I was never really brave enough to be vulnerable and post on the boards, it provided a lot of comfort and reassurance that the things that I was curious, nervous, and wondering about were normal and okay. Really, a whole lot of what Scarleteen taught me was that it was okay (and good!) for me to be myself, when no one else would. (Also your message got me thinking about how I spent most of the summer between seventh and eighth grade crying, feeling alone, and listening to My Immortal on repeat.)

Your words mean a whole lot to us, and I'm so excited for our other volunteers and staff (particularly our founder Heather!) to read them. Thank you so much for your support. <3
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Oh my goodness, OLIVE. <3

I remember you very well, and it's so good to see you and know that you're doing well and, from the sounds of it, crafting the kind of life you want. Thanks so much for coming by and sharing all of this. My day has barely just started (and I have to get some oral surgery today, so I figured the whole day would suck), and you've made it utterly.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Olive
Awesomeness Quotient: Haha
Primary language: English and French
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Pansexual

Unread post by Olive »

Hi al! It sounds like our teenage selves could have been great friends! Lol. I felt alone in my community when I was younger, so I felt amazing that I could connect to many other teens online through this forum.

Hey Heather! It's nice to see you again. I'm glad to see this site grow so much over the years! Thank you for reaching out to me again, and for creating such a wonderful community that helps other confused teens to explore themselves and the world around them.

Aw, I hope your oral surgery goes well! You got this.
"To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." - Winston Churchill
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Unread post by Siân »

Hi Olive! I just came in for my shift and saw your message, it was a total reminder of why I do this. I wouldn't have been on the forums back when you first used them but it is SO GOOD to hear about the difference they made to you, and I hope you hang around again and manage to keep building the life you want for yourself :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic