might compromise identity in order to more effectively provide for my career?

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
wintergreen
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: i write sometimes
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: lesbian, dyke

might compromise identity in order to more effectively provide for my career?

Unread post by wintergreen »

Hi,

this might not belong on this site but there's nowhere else I can think of to go. I am an actress, and these days social media is being taken into account more and more in regards to casting choices. I haven't worn makeup except for shows (and prom) in over a year. I've been feeling better about myself as a person, and I don't like the feeling. However, although I'm pretty and have no problem with how I look in my personal life, without makeup I know I can't compete in the social media or acting world. I'm ignoring all comments saying "no, I'm sure you're pretty enough;" I don't have a problem with myself, and I appreciate the sentiment (I've been given it before) but It's just objectively not true. However, with makeup, I think I can measure up. In terms of not wearing makeup--It make me happier, but what would make me happier in the long run is a healthy acting career. It does give me--I guess the closest thing would be sexuality dysphoria--it's not the presentation that, as a lesbian, makes me comfortable (I know lesbians can wear makeup; that's just not me). I've considered building a brand around not wearing makeup, but I'm afraid that'll make me seem like a nutty feminist and make me uncastable. Anyway, I guess I'm just looking for someone do bounce conversation off of? Advice? Thank you.
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: might compromise identity in order to more effectively provide for my career?

Unread post by al »

Hi wintergreen,

This is an interesting dilemma to be in - I'm not an actor myself, but am involved in the theater community and am constantly baffled by how much casting and selection focuses on physical appearance through the lens of pretty strict gender stereotypes. I know more than a few folks who will "femme" themselves for an audition, even if it's not how they normally present, just because not wearing makeup, a dress, earrings, or heels might make them seem "plain" or stand out. I get that casting directors have to rely on small details and first impressions, but this hyper-gendered world seems really limiting.

Have you experimented with wearing makeup or other things that might make you seem more "castable"? If so, how did it make you feel? I would worry for your sake that presenting in a style that you don't normally gravitate towards might wear on you after a while, especially if it feels like that's the thing that will get you hired. True, there might be some people who shut down if they see you without makeup, but there might also be folks who see what makes you "different'" and see a strength, and accept/welcome you. To me (again, not an actor, and not in the business of auditioning for a living), those kinds of casting directors and projects seem like the ones worth pursuing.
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic