What's your favourite Scarleteen article?

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
Chloé
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm doing what I want with my life, finally.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

What's your favourite Scarleteen article?

Unread post by Chloé »

I’ll start. For me, it’s the very first bit of Scarleteen that I ever came into contact with Bi the Dozen: A Bisexuality Quiz.

When I came to Scarleteen, I was really terrified and ashamed of my own bisexuality. This article flipped a switch for me. I began to realise that I didn’t have to be ashamed or embarrassed or scared. I realised that being bisexual could be a good, or even great thing. I realised that just because the people around me hold a judgement or an attitude towards something, doesn’t make them right, and doesn’t mean I have to agree. In short, this was a pivotal moment in my life. Without having found this article and thus Scarleteen, I would not be who I am today.

What’s your favourite article or piece you’ve read here on Scarleteen? Why?
bikinksterboy
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my willingness to try essentially anything
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: bisexual

Re: What's your favourite Scarleteen article?

Unread post by bikinksterboy »

my answer will likely change within a month, but
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advic ... _stocklist has been infinitely helpful in assessing what I really want and am comfortable with and in preparing me to initiate conversations with partners about what they want and how we can do that
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: hetero

Unread post by Alice O »

Mine right now is The Sex Goddess Blues: Building Sexual Confidence, Busting Perfectionism. It is so comprehensive. It is so warm and affirming. Izzy's drawings are amazing. And it covers the subject that comes up the most in sex ed: Am I normal? Is this normal? Wish I had found it earlier in my life!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Right now mine is a tie between Puppy Love: The Do's & Don'ts of Crushes (With Help from a Very Small Dog) ( I know I wrote it, but I think it's a good example of how sex ed can be both funny and useful) and Why I Deeply Dislike Your Older Boyfriend (it addresses heavy topic in a way that's both honest and sensitive to the feelings of young people who might be in that situation).
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Unread post by Siân »

Depending on how I'm feeling it's You Cannot Become Pregnant When You Have Pants On, because there are times when we all need some straight talk or An Immodest Proposal because I read it once, years and years ago and always remembered and wanted to read it again, because the difference between the first and last scenario is what was missing in sex ed where I grew up.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

I remember coming across Supermodel: Creating & Nurturing Your Own Best Relationship Models not too long after it was originally published, at a point in time when I was first exploring polyamory and was still trying to figure out how to build relationships much more deliberately. I'd had an experience where I thought a partner and I were on the same page but we very much were not, and that plus some coerciveness on his part made it a really unhealthy relationship.
Reading through this piece really helped me to think about what I wanted in a relationship, not because I felt like that was how they worked or what was expected of me, but just based on what I really wanted.
Hollytiger
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I am conscientious of others
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Unread post by Hollytiger »

The piece about shame in the "Sex Goddess Blues" really helped me. I re-read a lot of articles here, but often go back to that one. It makes me feel normal, human, and less alone.
thewrit3r
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I’m pretty smart
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by thewrit3r »

This one is awesome when I’m considering being sexually active and my needs and wants: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advic ... _stocklist

I also love this one, especially since my sex education was next to none: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/bodie ... _from_that
"The writer is by nature a dreamer - a conscious dreamer."
-Carson McCullers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic