Self-care— Is It Real?

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
Nonsequitur
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I’ve survived a week without crying
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her, They/Them
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Self-care— Is It Real?

Unread post by Nonsequitur »

Nowadays, I see tons of articles targeted to teens (Refinery29, Cosmopolitan, Seventeen Magazine) sayings that “self-care” is the number-one dependence to resolved all your problems.

I don’t believe pampering yourself with bubblebaths, putting on face-masks, drinking water, or forcing yourself to oblivion instead of seeing the reality of you and your life is “self-care” or “self-love”.
(I’m not saying all of these methods are invalid, go ahead and do them if you like.)

I don’t like where this selfish sigma is getting so popular. How come whenever I do these things recommend my confidence never boosts and I always see myself the same, no matter whoever tries to convince me.

What exactly is self-care and how can you feel good about yourself without being so selfish?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Self-care— Is It Real?

Unread post by Heather »

Pampering is only one — of many — kinda of self-care. Other kinds include things like exercise and movement, feeding oneself, meditation, positive self-talk, socializing, doing creative work... the works.

What works for a person when it comes to self-care is very personal as well as very situational. I haven’t seen pieces that make the kind of claims you seem to have seen, so I can’t speak to that.

But if what you’re looking to do specifically is increase your self-confidence, for sure, some kinds of self-care can often help people with that. Pampering, however, doesn’t strike me as the kind of self-care most likely to be of use with that specific issue, though.

Want to talk more about what you’re looking for with increasing your confidence and what might help?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic