Insomnia Help?

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
KittyPink
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I do art.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Xe/Xir or She/her
Sexual identity: Lesbian, switch, polyam, rope addict.

Insomnia Help?

Unread post by KittyPink »

So, yesterday I almost couldn't fall asleep, and that was mainly from dysphoria. Anybody have any ideas on how to fall asleep even if I'm suffering from insomnia?
"You are a dreamcatcher, you are beautiful to look at and you take the bad away and only give people the good." - Andrea Blankenship

***Transfeminine***

LIVE AND LEARN
thewrit3r
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I’m pretty smart
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Re: Insomnia Help?

Unread post by thewrit3r »

I've experienced insomnia in the past. Usually I notice that it's because something is bothering me; you've already pinpointed that dysphoria was keeping you up. While I have not personally experienced that, I know there are a few things you can do to help with insomnia. A lot of times just staying in bed does not help and can actually make you more stressed that you won't sleep. Perhaps you could try journaling your thoughts down before bed or when you can't sleep. Sometimes getting down your thoughts helps your mind not to wander at night because you've already said what's bothered you. You could also try meditation before bed. I've had difficulty just standing still but meditation doesn't have to be stationary, you could do yoga, take a walk, etc. anything that clears your mind. If it happens frequently, though, it might be a deeper problem that you may want to discuss with someone. My anxiety was giving me insomnia and I eventually had to seek counseling and medication (the anxiety was bothering me in other ways but that was just one of the examples).
"The writer is by nature a dreamer - a conscious dreamer."
-Carson McCullers
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Insomnia Help?

Unread post by Mo »

The above ideas are good! I definitely recommend looking into meditation or relaxation/breathing exercises. I am not great at actual meditation but doing deep breathing helps me a lot when I'm having problems sleeping. You could also try a white noise machine (or app; there are lots of free options) to see if there are sounds that make sleep easier. That makes a huge difference for me.
Also, if you find yourself online right up until bed, there's actually a good amount of research that suggests the blue light from phone/tablet/computer screens interferes with your ability to sleep well, so you might try giving yourself at least a half-hour between when you last use a phone or computer and when you go to bed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic