Scarleteen Summer Reading is Taking Suggestions!

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Scarleteen Summer Reading is Taking Suggestions!

Unread post by Sam W »

Hello y'all!

One of the projects I'm planning for the summer is a Scarleteen Summer Reading series, and I'd love to include user suggestions where I can. So, if y'all have any books about sex ed (including things like the history of sex), feminism, activism, LGBTQ topics, disability, or race (or any places where those categories intersect) I'm all ears. These don't have to be non-fiction by any means. If there's a YA book that has great representation, those are fair game too. If you leave a recommendation, let me know if it's okay to include your username, or if you'd like to remain anonymous if I use your suggestion.
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: hetero

Re: Scarleteen Summer Reading is Taking Suggestions!

Unread post by Alice O »

Sex in Crisis: The New Sexual Revolution and the Future of American Politics by Dagmar Herzog!

A great non-fiction book that combines sex and politics. About the Religious Right's agenda around sex and sexuality--including a focus on sex education. Was primarily written about the Bush era but feels (unfortunately) still applicable given our country's sexual climate and the current administration...
moonlight
volunteer in training
Awesomeness Quotient: I do improv as often as possible.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by moonlight »

The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet and it's sequel A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers are both great in my opinion. They're not heavily focused on LGBT+ topics, but they have relationships and individuals from the LGBT+ community, which can be nice. Sometimes I just want to read a book where the protagonist in non-cis or non-straight and no one makes a big deal about it, y'know?

Straight: the Surprisingly Short History of Heterosexuality by Hanne Blank is a book that Heather actually suggested to me a few years back and I really enjoy. It's about the advent of the concept of heterosexuality and the effect on society.
SeQuinn
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I am a fantastic hugger
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by SeQuinn »

Hi Sam, not sure if there's still room to add to the reading list but I highly recommend Jaclyn Friedman's What You Really Really Want - it's a great self-exploration of sexual identity.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic