Self-care anthems!

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Self-care anthems!

Unread post by Jacob »

Hey

so my friend just sent me this it's Scuse Me by Lizzo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjILCNcHevY

It's all about self-love and celebrating loving her own body and looking in the mirror and it's great.

For me, Time Away by Arthur Russell is something I listen to lots... it's about cleaning his flat but it reminds me of how nice doing that practical type of self care is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH7JIJ7NUhM

I'll also listen to calm reassuring stuff like "Nothings gonna hurt you baby" by Cigarettes After Sex
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2LQdh42neg

Or when I just need to process some big sads "To concquer pain with love" by Miriam the Believer does it for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUR8FPGaGSs

Or other times it's just ocean and rain sounds!

Do you guys have any songs, sounds or tunes you turn to when you want to do some self care?
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
capablehippie
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I can make bread, all by myself
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Re: Self-care anthems!

Unread post by capablehippie »

I have songs for self care, but I haven't been using them recently, I should try it more.

Started as a Baby (by Jon Lajoie): This one kind of goes in a different direction than yours, it just makes me laugh. It's rather crude...

I also like For Now from Avenue Q and I Am Not A Robot by Marina and the Diamonds.

I love your taste in music, by the way. These songs are so good (the first one isn't really my favorite style, but I like the message and the video)!
Sam W
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Capablehippie, I love Marina and the Diamonds!

Mine are "Don't Carry It All" by the Decemberists ("June Hymn" works too, but only on warm days. On cold days it makes me sad) and This Year" by the Mountain Goats
fairlylocal

Unread post by fairlylocal »

I have a few;

Pack Up by Eliza Doolittle; Often I stress probably a bit too much about what people think of me, and in the past people using homophobic slurs, 'jokes' and stereotypes used to make me feel kind of nervous, so on those occasions I did find the lyrics to this song pretty reassuring, particularly the lines;
'And when you're stuck in an angry crowd/They don't think what they say before they open their mouth/You gotta pack up your troubles get your old grin back/Don't worry 'bout the cavalry/I don't care what the people may say/What the people may say about me'.
That, and it's really catchy too.

Fix You by Coldplay; Sometimes you just have really rubbish days and on those days I find this song just hits the right spot somehow.

Born This Way by Lady Gaga; Enough said, really.

All-Star by Smash Mouth; I didn't know this song was from Shrek until my brother told me, and proceeded to bombard me with memes to the point where it's getting harder and harder to listen to this song without thinking of Shrek/Robbie Rotten/Bee Movie memes. All the same, it's still a song that makes me smile, if nowadays sometimes for the wrong reasons.

Make Me Smile by Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel; kind of an old song, and maybe not totally 100% 'happy' if you listen to the lyrics closely, but the tune is so catchy and upbeat, one of those songs you can't help but sing along to, albeit badly in my case.

Heavydirtysoul by Twenty One Pilots; this really isn't a happy song at all, yet it's become one of my favourite songs in general and one I tend to listen to a lot when I'm feeling down. I'm not sure why, just something about the overall tone helps me feel a bit 'stronger' sometimes. Overall I find Twenty One Pilots' songs good for when I just want to wallow a bit as well.

One Day Like This by Elbow; It's just a really happy, uplifting kind of song that has good memories attached for me, reminds me of sunny mornings, which the song itself kind of mentions.
Jacob
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

Good call on Come up and see me!

And Eliza Dolittle seems to have all the right bits of twee that might be needed for a pick-me-up!
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
books16
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I like to read and I can sew awesome garments
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she her
Sexual identity: atracted to the certain males and myself

Unread post by books16 »

For sexy self care
body say by Demi lavato
Can't keep my hands to myself by Selena Gomez
For non sexual self care
Solo by Rachel crow
Me too by Megan Trainor
thewrit3r
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I’m pretty smart
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by thewrit3r »

I love the lyrics to Katy Perry's "Firework". It really helps my self-esteem. Also "Perfect" by P!nk, "Brave" by Sara Barellies, "Last Hope" by Paramore, and generally uplifting songs. I have a playlist of confidence boosting sons to help bring my spirits up :)
"The writer is by nature a dreamer - a conscious dreamer."
-Carson McCullers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic