Discouraging Experience

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
Peonies
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I can raise plants from the dead
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: cis female

Discouraging Experience

Unread post by Peonies »

Hello all! This is formerly CraftyKid, now under a new name because I am in a gardening mood. :mrgreen:

Just venting here about a very discouraging experience I had my doctors office.

I just called to schedule my yearly exam for this summer. I normally have it in March, but I can't take off work to go and they don't have evening hours that work for me. (I took all my sick days because of a bout with pneumonia). I work in a school now, so I have the summers off to take care of appointments.

Anyway, I asked if the doctor could refill my birth control just until I can get in to see her (got an appt for the end of May). The receptionist immediately got irritated and said she would ask my doctor, but as an "unmarried person who works around children", I should "be careful about premarital sex and messing around because it doesn't always look good". I didn't even know what to say! I am going to talk to my doctor about it because I really like her and I know she wouldn't be happy about this. I've never had someone at a medical center offer their opinion openly like that before. I've heard of people having similar stories, I guess I just didn't really expect it.

I'm not really angry (because I know what is best for me). I'm just in disbelief!! :o
Formerly CraftyKid
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Discouraging Experience

Unread post by Heather »

I'm right there with you. That is beyond the beyonds, in my book, and that actually is NOT something that should be happening in healthcare. It's deeply unethical. :(
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic