Jane The Virgin

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
Atonement
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Cis-gender woman, Hetero

Jane The Virgin

Unread post by Atonement »

It’s been a while since we’ve discussed a TV show, and honestly this could be one of the most relevant shows to this website I’ve seen. While there are some flaws, I think the good aspects outweigh them, especially as you keep watching.

If you’re like me, you’ve probably been put off by the title, which I really don’t think is a good one. But I started watching it at the recommendation of a friend, and it has been a high point of my week for the last year.

On the surface, it is a pretty predictable romantic comedy TV show, but then it goes deeper.

While there are some flaws to the show, it really goes a long way to emphasize choice. Although the main character (Jane) has decided to wait for marriage to have sex, most of the other women in her life have not. They are not judged or punished for this.

On the other hand, Jane is not painted as “prude” or naïve. She is intelligent, informed, and is allowed to have a sexuality. There’s an awesome scene where she writes an erotic story to give to her boyfriend and is turned on doing so. I thought the fact that it was done simply for the enjoyment of both of them and not to "lead up" to anything was really cool.

Also, while it takes a while, it does a pretty awesome job examining the “virgin-whore complex. At the beginning, the character clearly views her mother’s teenage pregnancy as punishment for her promiscuous behavior. However, as the series develops her views evolve wonderfully.

The show also does well examining what it’s like growing up with an (otherwise loving, well meaning) parental figure with very strict beliefs with sex and sexuality and how it affects self image and life in general.

Also, it does a really good job with the characters in general. A lot of them are presented as stereotypical soap opera stereotypes at the beginning, but as the shows go on those same characters develop depth and motive.

On top of all that, it’s INCREDIBLY funny. The satire, the pop culture references and the concept of a telenovela that makes fun of other telenovelas is gold.

And, it’s an awesomely, unapologetically Hispanic show. Most of the main characters are minorities, and I think very believable ones. A good 25% of it is in subtitled Spanish, and they’re not afraid to be a little political here and there. It’s so nice to be able to watch a show that acknowledges that part of who I am, but is still universal enough that I can enjoy it with my friends from all backgrounds.

To top it off, all the OB information they feature in the show is spot on accurate, which is a huge plus for a women’s health junkie like myself.

Have you guys watched? What did you think?
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Re: Jane The Virgin

Unread post by Redskies »

I LOVE THIS SHOW :)

It's like a warm blanket, but with a smart and sharp worldview. And oh my gosh it's hilarious. Some of what happens is adorably over-the-top, but the characters are all so very real and complex. And a lesbian character with original storylines!

I especially love the interaction between the 3 central women, Jane, her mother and her grandmother: I think it reflects and celebrates relationships between women in ways that media rarely does. There's complexity and tension, but so much warmth, compassion and support. I love how Xiomara sometimes seems to be a stereotypical "irresponsible" or "embarrassing" mother, but is actually an incredibly powerful example of an awesome mother, and how that makes her such a positive example of someone who was a teen single parent. And Alba, who might seem strict or unbending in her beliefs and worldview, while underneath it's the wellbeing of the people she loves which comes before all else. I suppose for me the show very much departs from a romantic comedy here, because the key and central relationships seem to be the three generations of women and not their relationships with men. And finally, a romantic comedy genre where all the men are flawed "good guys" and there's none of that gross "women fall for jerks" business.

I'm really happy to hear you've found this show to be a good representation, Atonement! As a white person over here in Europe, I've often felt discomfort or frustration at some US media being unrepresentative or poorly done because then my own acquired view is very skewed, and an extra thing I've enjoyed with this show is feeling like I've been filled in in a much more appropriate way.

One quibble I'd have is the show's use of a common disability trope. I kind of forgive the show for it, because it does fit with the show's overall ridiculousness and misleads, buuuut... I think that's the only context they've shown disability? You can't really use a disability trope and not balance it out with a smarter view, because most people still just accept the trope as is without questioning it.

I was impressed right from the beginning, the first episode or two, where they showed what I thought was a very on-point representation of someone trying to figure out what to do about an unintended pregnancy while everyone spilled their opinions Everywhere and there was no room left for Jane to think or feel. And like you, Atonement, I Really like how, even though Jane's choosing not to have intercourse, she very much has her own sexuality - as do her mother and grandmother, and all three making different choices - and none of them nor the show are apologetic for one bit of it. It's so refreshingly contradictory - and healthy! - from stereotypical "virgin" narratives.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Atonement
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Cis-gender woman, Hetero

Unread post by Atonement »

I didn't think about the disability thing, but you're right. It would be good if they brought another disabled character on that's more realistic.

I can't completely claim to be an authority, since I'm mixed and did not grow up in a hispanic community and did not have extended family around.

But, honestly, it's nice to just see any portrayal, so long as it's respectful. Despite the fact that Hispanics have a large presence in the US, it SO rarely represented on TV, even with minor or background characters.

However, I had a friend who actually grew up in Miami and speaks Spanish at home watch with me, and she was very impressed. She said that most of the time, the few american films/movies that do feature the use of Spanish butcher it or have the characters speak dialects that are not used in their region. Kind of like how sometimes they think it's cool to have someone with an Austrailian accent portray a British accent, because "no one can tell the difference anyway".

I'm curious, though, since you said you're from the Europe (though you didn't say which part, but I'll ask anyway). I watch a lot of television from the UK, and I have noticed that it seems to be a lot more inclusive than American TV, particularly of Black characters. I've also noticed that interracial relationships are very common in shows, and that the fact that they're interracial isn't even brought up. They're just treated like any other relationship. Is this representative of what you have seen?
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

I grew up in Britain, but deserted it for continental Europe a few years ago :) Between not watching any TV as a kid/teen, having been gone a few years and there being much more imported US TV than imported British TV, I'm definitely not a useful person for your question re. TV and race!

Super-happy to hear about your Miami friend's opinion! Indeed, it's always groany and eye-roll-y when US TV does something that's just So Not an eg English/Scottish/ whatever local one it's supposed to be accent; but I can only imagine how galling and offensive it is when you're in the same country and apparently it matters so little.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I, too, LOVE this show. When it first started, I confess, a friend had to talk me into watching it, because the title and rough premise alone felt like it would just trigger work frustrations for me (getting pregnant without having sex, suffice it so say, has been a common panic around here over the years), but man, was I ever off-base about that.

I'm with both of you on the beauty of the family relationships (in Jane's family, anyway: goodness knows the other ones are a nightmare!), and with how refreshing it is to see a presentation of Hispanic-American culture and family that feels both very true and very loving, and is delightfully devoid of stereotype. Also agreed about the humor: I have hurt myself laughing at this show a few times.

Also, Gina Rodriguez (who plays Jane) is so EVERYTHING. I really hope after this we start seeing her more, she's just got incredible comic timing, and I adore her.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Love_muffintop
not a newbie
Sexual identity: Lesbian/queer

Unread post by Love_muffintop »

Jane the Virgin is one of the best shows on television these days. I was hooked the very first episode. I loved the concept, Jane, and all the other characters too. The two I love the most are Luisa and Rogelio. They are loveable goofballs that laugh constantly. The diversity is great, in that it feels so effortless. It doesn't feel like they are pandering to POC or LGBTQ+ people. I feel, for the most part, they try in earnest to produce beautiful content that truly reflect everyday people.
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

I think this settles it, I need to watch it too.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic