Sex Ed Curriculum

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
xmetalgirl
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Artsy Fartsy
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her, they/them
Sexual identity: Female

Sex Ed Curriculum

Unread post by xmetalgirl »

The premier of Ontario (who is a woman and also lesbian) wants to bring sex education in the curriculum. All of these parents are against it "protect our children" they say. I'm freaking 22 in university and feel embarrassed sometimes that I have to come on here to ask some questions lol. Like if they taught all of this already in highschool and elementary, I wouldn't have to look up random info on the Internet. In elementary school like grade 7, I remember only talking about the basics in health "penis, vagina" was said and everyone giggled so much (I was like the only serious kid about it, especially wanted to know all about periods) and well that the teachers didn't bother with teaching it since kids were always laughing. In grade 11, all I remember was the stupid teacher (who I also hated) say "condoms are bad they don't provide protection. You get pregnant, diseases and die. Don't ever have sex" I mean what the hell? I actually believed it and was scared of condoms for a long time til I had to come on here. I also think I remember her saying even touching genitals makes you get diseases and pregnancy lol. These people make you feel so scared that's why so many posts on here are even scared about fingering and dry humping. I don't know how it is in public school, but I'm talking about my experience in Catholic school. I think either school it should be like from grade 11-12, they should talk about sex. In grade 8-10 should be about puberty and such. You don't have to promote sex! Just talk about puberty, diseases, how sex and babies happen, periods etc.
Oh yeah! Also in grade 11, they made all th girls go to the auditorium and we watched a scary serious video about abortion. And telling us that it's all serious and everyone was crying. They also made all the boys go earlier to the auditorium. You'd think they would show them a video about something about sex, use condoms or something. NO! They showed them a freaking video about baseball!!! Yes I'm not joking. So while all the girls were scared to death, the immature boys were all laughing and thinking it was stupid for baseball and such. Like what the hell. Why don't you scare the guys if you scare the girls!? The abortion video shouldn't of even been shown to look scary btw. No wonder I remember in highschool, all the boys were super promiscuous/immature and stupid lol. They always acted like nothing in th world can stop them. In fact in grade 9, a guy I didn't even know asked me to have sex with him. And I said like "no you don't even talk to me why would I have sex with you?" Also I felt too young too at that time wasn't even interested in it. And then I overheard him in class tell the other guys "she's a bitch" you can understand why i hate people lol
Anyway, what do you guys think? I think sex Ed would change how we grow up. I wouldn't see so many guys be so promiscuous and in general would just change the world for better.
Teach it! If you want to protect your children, teach it!!!
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Sex Ed Curriculum

Unread post by Mo »

We certainly support factual comprehensive sex education in schools! We'd want to be here to offer help either way, but many questions people ask here are about things that, ideally, basic sex ed programs would cover.
Our goal isn't to keep people from having sex or limit the number of partners they choose to have but to make sure they are as educated as possible about sex and sexuality-related issues, so they can make sexual choices from a well-informed perspective.
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Sex Ed Curriculum

Unread post by al »

Unfortunately, I think that your experiences in sex ed (and the lack of actual sexual education) are fairly common, both in the U.S. and Canada. It's great to hear that there are politicians who are actively trying to bring about change, because clearly the status quo isn't providing young people with the information that they need. Kind of like you were saying, everyone should have access to accurate and unbiased information about sex, sexuality, and relationships, so that they don't have to constantly try and find answers to things on the Internet. Like Mo said, we're happy to be here to provide answers and reassure young people, but ideally we wouldn't need to because they'd already have solid foundations from their education in schools.
In terms of the experience you had in 9th grade with that boy who asked you to have sex and then called you a bitch, it also sounds like a pretty common experience. When sex education in schools consists of "scaring" the girls with graphic or disturbing videos and then refusing to address sex and sexuality with boys, it contributes to very different attitudes towards sex between the different genders. Young men usually end up thinking about sex in very casual terms, using it as a tool to show off to others or prove how masculine they are, and that can make a pretty uncomfortable environment for the young women around them. I'm sorry you had to deal with getting called out like that just for saying no. Nobody should be shamed for making a personal decision about who they do or do not want to have sex with.
That idea goes the other way too, like Mo was saying- we definitely don't want to live in a world where people are made to feel bad about not having sex, but we also don't want people to feel bad if they do want to have sex, even with many partners. We want to promote a culture where deciding to have sex is a personal decision after someone's been given accurate information and the time and space to set those boundaries. If young people are given all of the facts, and encouraged to ask themselves individually what they feel comfortable with/really want, they tend to wait and have sex at a later time that feels right to them, rather than because they feel they need to show off or prove to others that they're masculine or just as mature as everyone else. I can't tell you how many friends of mine have told me that had they known what they know now about sex, they would have waited much longer to become sexually active. And that the sex would have been a lot better too. :)
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic