Talk show

Questions and discussion about sex and sexuality in political or community beliefs, principles, actions, policies, experiences, messages and media.
pianolover
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I am easy to talk to
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Talk show

Unread post by pianolover »

I understand I'm not a professional and well fully aware of how I identify sexually and non sexually but I'm working on it. And I'm sure so many other people are figuring it out too. I've been wanting to do a talk show on my local radio show about sex,intimacy,healthy relationships, etc. Or a blog, soundcloud, etc. Any tips on starting one? or how to maintain a healthy mind while I create my content.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Talk show

Unread post by Heather »

When I'm starting a big new project, I'm a fan of starting a log or journal for it, or some other kind of system where I can start writing down all of my thoughts and ideas, making some deadlines and doing other scheduling, collecting outside inspo, the works. I also tend to pick up a few books about whatever the kind of project is I am doing and really sink in on research for a while. Generally I find if I don't find doing the homework exciting -- if I lose interest there -- it's a good sign I need to change up my plans.

It sounds like one big thing you need to do is to figure out what medium you want to do it in: radio or podcasting is very different than blogging, and ask for very different things. Ideally, it should be pretty easy to stay in a good mindset when you're doing a creative project you want to do: a lot of managing any stress with this kind of thing is just making sure you do it in ways that really work for you, uniquely.

What medium do you feel like would feel best for you? What do you feel most comfortable with and excited about?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

Hey Lostand_found,

Something that helps me greatly is to find a place where there are other people working on similar projects. I think small local community stations, or writing circles, or shared work-spaces who can need volunteers can be a great place to learn the process, hear other people's work (and possibly borrow equipment!)

Then again some of my projects have been entirely solitary activities!

So, that would be another thing to think about, whether a social aspect could be helpful.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
pianolover
not a newbie

Thank you! I want to do a talk show to reach out to my community. But I also like the idea of blogging because no matter where I am I can still work on it.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

Blogging might be a good place to start, because figuring out audio and broadcasting logistics could be trickier than finding a place to host a blog online. I think using Heather's journaling idea to start writing down ideas and possible plans could be a good way to get things going and see what sort of ideas come to mind and what you might want to focus on.
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

Have you made a contact with the station yet?

I think it can be good to have one good contact who can be your 'in', then you don't have to make all-the-plans, you can just show up for the one person, or one event and go on from there...

If not, what is the station? I'm happy to snoop around their website for whoever the best person might be!
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
pianolover
not a newbie

That is smart, the station is called [edited - HC]
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

For your privacy, I edited out the radio station. Listing that station might allow someone later -- if you do get a show on there -- to personally identify you with your posts here, a thing you probably won't want and which is counter to our policies here. We ask users not to post any personally identifying information here for your privacy and safety: it's one of the easy things we can do here to keep our users from being harassed for posting here.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
pianolover
not a newbie

Thank you
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic