Supreme Court Confirmation, Abortion, and a Host of Other Scariness

Questions and discussion about sex and sexuality in political or community beliefs, principles, actions, policies, experiences, messages and media.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Supreme Court Confirmation, Abortion, and a Host of Other Scariness

Unread post by Sam W »

Right now, there is a high probability that the U.S. will end up with a new supreme court justice who is deeply unfit for the position. And for those of us who care about abortion and birth control access, queer rights, and disability rights (to name a few) the nominee poses an immense threat to causes we care about and that directly affect our lives.

I've had to pull back from following the confirmation hearings, because if I read about them for too long I start to make a series of high-pitched frustration noises (if you're familiar with Lemongrab from Adventure Time, it sounds like that), but what I have followed the amount of ignorance and corruption on display is frustrating and disheartening (even though there are many people in that room actively fighting back against those things).

I'm making this thread for a few reasons. One is for people to share things they've done to help resist the new nominee and or help those who are doing so. Or what things they're doing to help them feel prepared for the possible outcomes of this nominee getting on the bench (I have a few ideas of my own here: http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/sam_w/defending_roe )

But I also want this to be a space where people can just share there feelings about all this, be that anger, fear, worry, what have you. I know there's a lot of rhetoric about how we will resist and we will win and things like that, both around these hearings and around the other corrupt and inhumane things this administration is doing. And I don't want to invalidate those hopeful messages. I firmly believe that hope and resistance are some of the best tools that exist when it comes to working against injustice. But I also want to acknowledge that this stuff is scary for a lot of us, including myself, in big picture ways and in personal ways. So if what you need is a place to give voice to those less positive emotions this is bringing up for you, that's completely okay.