Being the change

Questions and discussion about sex and sexuality in political or community beliefs, principles, actions, policies, experiences, messages and media.
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Being the change

Unread post by Jacob »

So, there's that one-liner from Mahatma Ghandi that states "Be the change that you wish to see in the world." He was problematic in other ways by the way, but that quote still has an effect on me.

I have political convictions but I don't always do anything about them, or feel able to.

I really appreciate the reminder we are part of the world, and that small actions have an effect.

What do people think that "be the change" means for them?

Are there things you'd like to do, or do differently to bring about the world you want to see?

Is it something you have thought about?

Or do you even agree with it... can an individual have that much influence?
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Being the change

Unread post by Mo »

I feel pretty powerless on a large scale, but being kind to the people in my life is something I can do and I try to make sure I'm being kind and loving to folks I care about, reaching out to them when they need it, etc. It doesn't always feel like a lot but it feels like the most I can do right now - and I think "increasing kindness" is certainly a change I would love to see happen.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic