why do many parents have this taboo around openly discussing LGBTQIA+ subjects with their kids?

Questions and discussion about sex and sexuality in political or community beliefs, principles, actions, policies, experiences, messages and media.
bikinksterboy
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my willingness to try essentially anything
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: bisexual

why do many parents have this taboo around openly discussing LGBTQIA+ subjects with their kids?

Unread post by bikinksterboy »

it's as though they all think queerness is inherently sexual or something
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: why do many parents have this taboo around openly discussing LGBTQIA+ subjects with their kids?

Unread post by Heather »

Well, that's still how a LOT of people think, parents and non-parents alike, unfortunately.

Homophobia, biphobia and transphobia are more common than not, still, as is plain old ignorance about anything that isn't cisnormative or heteronormative.

I'm curious: is this really something that seems mysterious to you?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
bikinksterboy
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my willingness to try essentially anything
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: bisexual

Re: why do many parents have this taboo around openly discussing LGBTQIA+ subjects with their kids?

Unread post by bikinksterboy »

nah, I was more trying to spark discussion
thewrit3r
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I’m pretty smart
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by thewrit3r »

I think it's because still aren't used to it. Of course the LGBT+ community has always been here, but until recently people have not been as open about it. People simply aren't used to it as a whole and people are generally wary of what's different/new to them. Also, people who are straight and grow up in a heteronormative society like the one we live in may have a harder time accepting and understanding various sexual orientations. My parents didn't even tell me about same-sex attraction until I was like 12 or so and saying how they didn't particularly agree with it and stuff (at least my dad did), but luckily they're open-minded and we've moved past that to just seeing various sexualities as just another aspect of people's lives. Though the other day my sister (who's 6) said that girls couldn't marry girls and I explained to her a bit that some girls marry other girls and my older brother said something about bringing this topic up with her. But I'm just thinking, she's old enough to grasp the basic understanding of relationships, and there's nothing innaprooriate with same-sex relationships in compassion with opposite-sex ones. I think as more people get used to the idea parents will feel more comfortable speaking to their kids about sexuality, gender, etc., just like with race/ethnicity etc.
"The writer is by nature a dreamer - a conscious dreamer."
-Carson McCullers
Avondran
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My empathy!
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by Avondran »

My mom was raised as a Christian and she was taught that being gay was a sin so she didn't discuss it with me. When I told her I was bisexual, at first she thought it was a joke and when she realized I was serious, she looked uncomfortable. When I explained my feelings more and communicated to her, she understood me. She even went to Pride with me! I think this taboo has a lot to do with how your parents were raised and their influences later in life. I believe if parents are open minded and listen then this taboo can be avoided.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic