Bisexual stereotypes

Questions and discussion about sex and sexuality in political or community beliefs, principles, actions, policies, experiences, messages and media.
thewrit3r
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I’m pretty smart
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Bisexual stereotypes

Unread post by thewrit3r »

I really don't get the negative stereotypes surrounding bisexuality. There are so many connotations but these are the ones that come to mind:

1. Bisexuals are just confused and are really straight/gay.

2. Bisexuality is just a phrase.

3. Bisexuals cannot commit because they are attracted to everyone and therefore will cheat on you.

4. You have to date two genders to know you are attracted to both.

5. Bisexuals are equally attracted to men and women.

None of these make sense to me, and I'm sure everyone gets why it doesn't make sense. The one that really baffles me, however, is #3. Just because you say you're attracted to men and women doesn't mean you're attracted to everyone. Just like not everyone who is gay/straight is attracted to everyone who is of the same/opposite gender.

And just because you like two things doesn't mean you can't make up your mind. For a silly but similar food analogy, I like chips and fries. It's not that I can't make up my mind, but I honestly like them both. Why am I only allowed to like one of them?

Finally, why would having the ability to be attracted to two genders make you more likely to cheat? Cheating has nothing to do with sexual preferences; it has to do with an individuals personality and what's going on in their life, their thoughts, etc. another reason this statement doesn't make any sense is because we know straight and gay people can cheat on their lovers. It has nothing to do with sexuality.

Back on this thread I spoke about the possibility of being bisexual: http://www.scarleteen.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5955
I guess maybe this is why it bothers me more. If I am bisexual, or maybe even just bicurious, I don't want to be getting flack about how bisexuality "just a phase", I'm "really" gay/straight/not bi, I'll cheat on everyone, etc. But then again, people say the same about people of different racial/ ethnic groups, genders, religions, etc.

Sorry about the long rant, it's just been something that ticks me off/confuses me :|
"The writer is by nature a dreamer - a conscious dreamer."
-Carson McCullers
capablehippie
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I can make bread, all by myself
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Bisexual stereotypes

Unread post by capablehippie »

It ticks me off too, it can be really hard to find validation as a bisexual. I feel like people often compare being bisexual to the struggle of being gay in this society, and that makes it seem like not such a big deal. It can be a big deal, though, and it's like being straight, in terms of acceptance. (I'm speaking on a general level, I am not saying that I know what struggles every person has had related to their sexuality.)
I think there's a lot of negativity around girls and bisexuality, too. Kind of like with your 2., I've heard someone say that most girls are bisexual, which really undermines the legitimacy of bisexuality as an identity.
thewrit3r
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I’m pretty smart
Pronouns: She/her

Unread post by thewrit3r »

There's definitely the whole "all women experiment in college/are bisexual/etc." stereotype that really invalidates female sexuality. But I feel like in terms of acceptance, women on women relationships are more "accepted" than man on man relationships. It's because of the weird objectification of female sexuality. Women interacting sexually with other women is "hot", "sexy", "exiting", etc. whereas men having sex with other men is "not manly" and not "cool" like female sexuality, if that makes any sense.
"The writer is by nature a dreamer - a conscious dreamer."
-Carson McCullers
capablehippie
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I can make bread, all by myself
Pronouns: she/her

Unread post by capablehippie »

Yes, I agree. They are accepted, but not as actual relationships, just as sexy flings for men's pleasure. That makes sense.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic