Gay characters without crushes

Questions and discussion about sex and sexuality in political or community beliefs, principles, actions, policies, experiences, messages and media.
Catherwren
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My fondness of music
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her they/them
Sexual identity: Gay

Gay characters without crushes

Unread post by Catherwren »

So, I don't have any examples, but it seems like some gay characters aren't really gay, like they're gay but they don't have boyfriends/girlfriends, they don't have crushes and they don't talk about attractive people. I don't know. But in the Perks of Being a Wallflower, Patrick is gay, and he has a boyfriend, and he actively mentions his gayness.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Gay characters without crushes

Unread post by Karyn »

It's an interesting point, but I guess I'm wondering why gay characters need to have crushes or be in relationships to be really gay? (Kind of playing devil's advocate here, I suppose, but your post got me thinking!)
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

I definitely don't think a character (or person!) needs to have a crush/love interest/partner to *be* gay, or any other orientation, but this brings to mind some criticisms I've heard, from friends who keep up with mainstream media (especially comics) more than I do. I've heard some people express frustration that characters are revealed in-story to be gay, for example, with no other detail in the world to support it - and it winds up feeling like the writers are patting themselves on the back for Including A Gay Character!!! without also including any of what you might find in a gay person's life, such as: activism, other gay/queer friends, partners/former partners of their preferred gender, etc. which makes the character feel flat or unauthentic.
I'm not sure if this is what you were getting at or not, Catherwren, but it did come to mind. While I don't think any character needs a romantic interest to somehow prove or validate their orientation, I also think it's best for characters to have some sort of context connecting them to the community and world vs. existing in a sterile vacuum.
Catherwren
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My fondness of music
Pronouns: She/her they/them
Sexual identity: Gay

Unread post by Catherwren »

Yeah, you're absolutely right that gay characters don't need crushes or girlfriends/boyfriends to be gay, but sometimes it does seem like writers are just doing it so they can be applauded for LGBT content.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic