Abortion

Questions and discussion about sex and sexuality in political or community beliefs, principles, actions, policies, experiences, messages and media.
Catherwren
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My fondness of music
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her they/them
Sexual identity: Gay

Abortion

Unread post by Catherwren »

It's interesting how to some people, an unborn fetus is alive and deserves all the rights people have, but the second the baby is born and isn't white, or isn't cis, or isn't straight, they don't deserve those rights.
WingsOfRazgriz
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Hard Worker, Nice
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: male, attack helicopter

Re: Abortion

Unread post by WingsOfRazgriz »

This simply isn't true. I have never seen this happen at all. I don't ever see people for abortion excusing the rights of unborn non-white, cis(nobody is born transgender, possible with gender dysphoria, but at such young age I can't see a child deciding that yet), or non-straight.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

I think what catherwren is getting at (and catherwren, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) is that many people who identify as anti-choice (or "pro-life") are also politically aligned in a way that support policies that are...well, kind of the opposite. Like not supporting programs that help low income (and often non-white) families with young kids access food, housing, or healthcare. In other words, it sometimes feels like the life they're in favor of only matters when it's in the womb. Once it's out of there, they become less interested in protecting it.

With LGBTQA kids, there's sometimes this overlap between pro-life circles and circles that go "why should we support policies that protect LGBTQA kids and lower their odds of suicide? That goes against our morals" which, if you're the LGBTQA person looking at, is going to look really contradictory.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Just FYI, I believe the OP is talking about people who are *anti* choice - against abortion - not those who support abortion as a choice.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
WingsOfRazgriz
not a newbie

That was a miswording in my sentence. I meant people against abortion.
WingsOfRazgriz
not a newbie

And Sam W from what you are getting at, and I can sort of agree with you on that. I think its why college is so expensive these days. And with the last part, I would not doubt that happens, it shouldn't be happening. Its something I am really struggling to understand with Christians. You can still practice your religion without force its beliefs on other people. Its something Joe Biden has been preventing himself to do and he refuses to do.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Well, not sure what to say about your own experiences, Wings, but broadly, what Catherwren said long has basis. Even when you just look at antichoice politicians, for instance, you will find their personal and political records are also commonly filled with either nonsupport for or outright attacks on some or all of the groups she mentioned.

That's not ever been all that surprising to me, because this way of thinking requires deciding one kind of life (fetal tissue) is more important than another (the person whose life and body that tissue is inhabiting and will impact, often greatly), which is often the core belief (supremacy) that holds up racism, sexism, homophobia and transphobia, etc. As well, antichoice views are often based in religious belief, praxis or communities that also aren't so great on these issues (and/or are outright awful on some). So.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
WingsOfRazgriz
not a newbie

I can't deny that this happens but I think its in the very small minority of people who believe this, there are a lot of African Americans who are christians that most likely are anti-abortion.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

The two things can both be true without negating one another. There can be african american people who believe abortion is wrong, and there can also be people who believe abortion is wrong but will not support (or sometimes actively oppose) measures to take care of those same kids once they're born.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic