What's wrong with mainstream media

Questions and discussion about sex and sexuality in political or community beliefs, principles, actions, policies, experiences, messages and media.
Catherwren
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My fondness of music
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her they/them
Sexual identity: Gay

What's wrong with mainstream media

Unread post by Catherwren »

I think there is a lot wrong with mainstream media. It basically tells girls all they should want in life is a monogamous relationship with a guy they met in high school, who they will marry and have babies with. If that's what you want, awesome, but it's teaching girls who don't want that that there's something wrong with them.
Danny S.
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm a dog parent :)
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: What's wrong with mainstream media

Unread post by Danny S. »

Hi Catherwren,
I definitely agree with you. Mainstream media also often has a detrimental effect on how people, especially girls, women, and AFAB (assigned female at birth) people view themselves and their bodies. It's good that you recognize this, and it would be great if you could use that position to do something about it! If you want to, you could try writing or journaling about your frustration with the media. Your profile says that you're interested in music, so maybe use that as a jumping-off point. Read through the responses to your "How to become an activist post" again and see if you can apply any of that to this idea.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic