How to become an activist

Questions and discussion about sex and sexuality in political or community beliefs, principles, actions, policies, experiences, messages and media.
Catherwren
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My fondness of music
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her they/them
Sexual identity: Gay

How to become an activist

Unread post by Catherwren »

I'm interested in activism, but how do you go about doing it? I'm a teenager who lives in a small town, it's not like there's protests every weekend. I don't have social media. Any ideas?
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Re: How to become an activist

Unread post by Eddie C »

Hello there, Catherwren. :)

It's awesome that you want to do this! There's a lot of ways someone can be an activist without ever being in a protest. Depending on what issues you are more interested you can always find a way to maybe do some volunteering work. Volunteering is not only very important but it could be also very fun. For example, someone who might be passionate about defending animals rights could volunteer at an animal shelter. The important thing is to educate yourself as much as you can in the subject you are interested. You can look for groups, clubs or organizations around you.

If you don't find anything close to you, you can always try something at your school. If there's no club that interests you you can try to create one. It can surprise you how many people might be interested in the same subjects that you are.

Is there anything you have in mind that makes you really interested?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi CatherWren,

Tossing this article in here too, as some it might help you get started :) : Activism 101
Blueswan
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My curiosity
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Pan/fluid

Unread post by Blueswan »

Volunteering is a great idea! Here's some other ways to start:

1. Research, research, research. You want to know what you want to do, what you can do, and who else is doing it.

2. If there's nothing close by for your particular cause, don't be afraid to start something on your own with a few friends. Taking the lead is sometimes the best thing to do.

3. Be creative. You don't always need an organization or to march in the streets. Anything from writing pieces on your topic or running for city council can be just as if not more affective.

4. Spot your opportunities and take them. Is someone you are working to uplift/protect being hurt? Step in. Is someone discussing an idea you think is harmful/ill informed? Speak up.

Best of luck!
Blueswan
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic