My Opinion on Makeup and Cosmetics

Questions and discussion about sex and sexuality in political or community beliefs, principles, actions, policies, experiences, messages and media.
BobbyBlobfish
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I am a Trump supporter
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Nothing
Sexual identity: 100% Straight, 100% Male

My Opinion on Makeup and Cosmetics

Unread post by BobbyBlobfish »

Hey all!
First of all, I would like to say that you do what you want. I don't care. Anyway, here is my opinion on makeup. I personally find it really sad (legit sad as in emotions, not pathetic) that some women have to wear loads o makeup just to feel accepted and beautiful. I saw a "Bye Bye Foundation" basically game show advertisement hybrid thing, and all the women on the show were talking about how flawless their skin was. The thing that makes people cool is diversity in looks and personality. With some people, cosmetic items honestly take a poop on it. You don't need makeup to be perfect. You already are. And I'm fine with people who wear it because they like it, I don't judge. On the other hand, to people who feel they need to wear it just to be accepted in public, please don't. Like I said a million and one times, you are perfect just how you are. That's all I have to say. Thanks.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: My Opinion on Makeup and Cosmetics

Unread post by Sam W »

Make-up is one of those items, like clothes, where the relationship a lot of people have with it is complex. The beauty industry is huge and spends a lot of money convincing you that you could look better. That's before we even get to how beauty norms and make-up norms privilege whiteness. There are also times when not wearing make-up works against you. There's data to suggest that women who wear make-up (but not overly obvious make-up) are perceived as more "competent" in job interviews.

But for plenty of people, make-up helps them express their personality. It helps them feel more like themselves (or they simply find it fun to do and experiment with). Too, some folks use make-up to subvert cultural expectations of beauty by using unusual or bright colors, or by wearing colors that people with their skin tone are not "supposed" to wear. Ultimately, we all work out our own relationships with make-up as a concept.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I feel like it's also extra important to point out that for those whose femininity is most challenged or refused, or for whom it can be literally dangerous to be seen as not "feminine enough" - like trans women - cosmetics often play a big part. Same goes for some jobs where cosmetics are literally required: many women have limited employment options, so this can be about literal survival for them and, if they have other mouths to feed, their children or other family members.

Some women who would ideally prefer NOT to have to meet these kinds of beauty standards sometimes have little to no choice. :(

If it makes more sense to have a comparison, saying, especially as a dude,
On the other hand, to people who feel they need to wear it just to be accepted in public, please don't. Like I said a million and one times, you are perfect just how you are.
...is a lot like if a woman said, to guys, "On the other hand, to people who feel they need to wear pants instead of skirts just to be accepted in public, please don't. Like I said a million and one times, you are perfect just how you are." Consider how many places men could do that without risking some things that were everything from just super-annoying to the potential loss of their ability to get or keep a job or something they loved, like being on a sports team, to an actual threat to their safety. Make sense?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
BobbyBlobfish
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I am a Trump supporter
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Nothing
Sexual identity: 100% Straight, 100% Male

Unread post by BobbyBlobfish »

Heather wrote:I feel like it's also extra important to point out that for those whose femininity is most challenged or refused, or for whom it can be literally dangerous to be seen as not "feminine enough" - like trans women - cosmetics often play a big part. Same goes for some jobs where cosmetics are literally required: many women have limited employment options, so this can be about literal survival for them and, if they have other mouths to feed, their children or other family members.

Some women who would ideally prefer NOT to have to meet these kinds of beauty standards sometimes have little to no choice. :(

If it makes more sense to have a comparison, saying, especially as a dude,
On the other hand, to people who feel they need to wear it just to be accepted in public, please don't. Like I said a million and one times, you are perfect just how you are.
...is a lot like if a woman said, to guys, "On the other hand, to people who feel they need to wear pants instead of skirts just to be accepted in public, please don't. Like I said a million and one times, you are perfect just how you are." Consider how many places men could do that without risking some things that were everything from just super-annoying to the potential loss of their ability to get or keep a job or something they loved, like being on a sports team, to an actual threat to their safety. Make sense?
Yes it does. Thanks for the explanation.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Happy to give it. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic