Fathers/Mothers Days can really suck for many of us

Questions and discussion about sex and sexuality in political or community beliefs, principles, actions, policies, experiences, messages and media.
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Fathers/Mothers Days can really suck for many of us

Unread post by Jacob »

Its Fathers day in the UK. Many people have a public holiday that gets under their skin but for those of us with strained, difficult, harmful or non-existent relationships with dads, Father's Day is up there as one of the hardest.

Today my social media, mostly facebook, has been flooded more than I remember being the case in previous years with people paying tribute to their dads, words of happy relationships and they all have the best one in the world.

For many this can feel alienating. And it can feel like raining on everyone's parade to not to be able to share in that.

An upside is that we can, as one option, look at it as an opportunity to reflect and reach out to others who feel conflicted. I can also turn off social media and remember the multitude of relationships that have nurtured and helped me.

So any tips on getting through it from anyone else in the struggle?

To anyone who goes through this - I hope you all get to have healthy relationships with those important to you and get support finding distance or healing with those relationships that ain't.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm smart
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual

Re: Fathers/Mothers Days can really suck for many of us

Unread post by 8888 »

Hi,

I see Father's Day passed but I just wanted to say that must really hard. There are other holidays that bother me for other reasons and what I do is I try to do something special for myself during that time of year.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic