Expectations about your identity?

Questions and discussion about sex and sexuality in political or community beliefs, principles, actions, policies, experiences, messages and media.
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: "I'm a woman phenomenally"
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Expectations about your identity?

Unread post by Ashleah »

Expectations and stereotypes about a person's identity really annoy me! All my life I have dealt with people's idea of who I should be based off my race, gender, appearance, etc. and it really irks!!! It doesn't make much sense to me.

This is a vent thread. What are some expectations that others have of you based off of your identity/ies? Are there any ways that you deal what them?
Sunshine
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I have a quote for every situation
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bi

Re: Expectations about your identity?

Unread post by Sunshine »

I have a hard time figuring out what people expect of me, let alone why...

At work, I often get the impression that people think I am rather stupid. But whether that's because I am shy or because I am blond and my voice is high-pitched, or because I really am or act stupid, I cannot say. I must admit that I have mostly given up fighting against this. I simply do not have much energy these days and I need it for what's really important.
Snorkmaiden
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I like to help.
Primary language: Dutch
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight butch

Re: Expectations about your identity?

Unread post by Snorkmaiden »

People who haven't met me before often think I must be a lesbian. It's probably because I have short hair and a pretty butch clothing style. I don't mind one bit, because I'm fine with people thinking that about me... even though it's not true at all!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic