Do you feel you can change things?

Questions and discussion about sex and sexuality in political or community beliefs, principles, actions, policies, experiences, messages and media.
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Do you feel you can change things?

Unread post by Jacob »

Hey folks!

So, if you guys realise that you are unhappy with a certain political (or organisational: like your school or workplace) issue, how much power do you feel like you have to change things?

Because it is one thing to notice injustice, but it's another thing to feel motivated to make a change, and I realise that so many people really are pessimistic about change. That makes sense because it is difficult and it can be hard to see activism pay off (it has taken me a while!)... but that can hold us back from trying.

We are planning to start making a lot of new content about activism and do whatever we can to make it easier for all you budding placard wavers out there, to make our worlds a better place.

I feel pretty lucky to be around all of you here on scarleteen so anything I can do to help with this stuff will be my pleasure!

(Do check out Activism 101 if you haven't already)
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
the-lefty-clan
Awesomeness Quotient: Humorous
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight/questioning

Re: Do you feel you can change things?

Unread post by the-lefty-clan »

I'm 17, soon to be a senior in high school

Personally, I have never felt as though my voice was heard or could make a difference. Children are told to shut up and do as there told. Those times that I have taken a stance have been due to a clear opposition.

In order to begin work in an organization, I always like to see the immediate difference I'm making, no matter how small. I would never have continued as a volunteer EMT, at the soup kitchen, at the hospital, animal shelter, even painting murals in the city unless I could see how it changed sole-lives.

Definitely work to show people the real effects of their work and good luck!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic