Survivors who you look up to

Questions and discussion about sexual or other abuse or assault, and support and help for survivors.
Forum rules
This area of the boards is expressly for support and help for those who are currently in or have survived abuse or assault. It is also for those seeking information or discussion about abuse or assault. Please make every effort in this space to be supportive and sensitive. Posts in this area may or do describe abuse or assault explicitly.

This area of the boards is also not an area where those who are themselves abusing anyone or who have abused or assaulted someone may post about doing that or seek support. We are not qualified to provide that kind of help, and that also would make a space like this feel profoundly unsafe for those who are being or who have been abused. If you have both been abused and are abusing, we can only discuss harm done to you: we cannot discuss you yourself doing harm to others. If you are someone engaging in abuse who would like help, you can start by seeking out a mental healthcare provider.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Survivors who you look up to

Unread post by Heather »

I was reminded today about how many incredible survivors of sexual abuse and assault there are in the world, who have done incredible things.

Today that reminder was Elizabeth Smart: http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/05 ... nence-ed/
I know that a big help in my own healing was finding out about other survivors I looked up to. Maya Angelou was a biggie for me personally, for example. Just being able to see another survivor not just survive but thrive really helped me get though my own healing, especially during hard times.

I'd love for this thread to become a list of inspiring survivors for anyone else who needs that kind of boost and positive reminder, so if you've got others to add that have inspired you, add away!

Originally posted on the old boards here: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimat ... 00644.html
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Brave1
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My inner strength.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Survivors who you look up to

Unread post by Brave1 »

Heather,
I look up to myself. I also find strength in the story of Lauren Book (It's OK to Tell, by Lauren Book). I am a survivor. My healing often amazes me and my therapist. I do not have anyone else in my life to look to. I do not know anyone who has made it, only people who are trying to make it. I think that as well as celebrating other survivors, we need to celebrate ourselves.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic