I don't think I was raped?

Questions and discussion about sexual or other abuse or assault, and support and help for survivors.
Forum rules
This area of the boards is expressly for support and help for those who are currently in or have survived abuse or assault. It is also for those seeking information or discussion about abuse or assault. Please make every effort in this space to be supportive and sensitive. Posts in this area may or do describe abuse or assault explicitly.

This area of the boards is also not an area where those who are themselves abusing anyone or who have abused or assaulted someone may post about doing that or seek support. We are not qualified to provide that kind of help, and that also would make a space like this feel profoundly unsafe for those who are being or who have been abused. If you have both been abused and are abusing, we can only discuss harm done to you: we cannot discuss you yourself doing harm to others. If you are someone engaging in abuse who would like help, you can start by seeking out a mental healthcare provider.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: I don't think I was raped?

Unread post by Heather »

I'm not offended. But I am/we are trying to set some boundaries that I don't feel like you're fully respecting, and I would like to ask you to please try a bit harder to do that.

I need to be done answering this same question: this is the loop I was talking about. I feel like I have already been very clear, right from the start, that what I hear you describing is sexual assault. I'm not willing to keep having this same conversation where I or others say that, then you basically try and disprove it or discount it until we're back at the start again. I don't think anyone benefits from that.

But here's a conversation I am willing to have and that I think may be more productive and beneficial. I also think it's perhaps what's really going on here:

What do you say to talking some about how hard it can be to accept that we have been sexually abused in any way? After all, it CAN be hard in so many ways, for several reasons, and in your case, it sounds like there are even some additional challenges to that in the mix. It's something survivors struggle with very commonly, that basic acceptance of what was done to us. I've been there myself.

I think what is probably happening here is that you know you were assaulted, but you're struggling to accept it, perhaps in part because it's shining a light on other interactions and experiences in your life and maybe making you have to accept a whole history of abuses. But I don't need to guess about this stuff: like I said, if you want to and are willing, I would be glad to talk about this with you: this is a conversation I think might actually help you.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
IAmScared
not a newbie
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Unread post by IAmScared »

can I just ask one more question and that's it? to fully understand was i really raped
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I really want to hold the line I set, please. I just don't know what you could say at this point that would change my response or would somehow magically get you to acceptance just because I said it. It's also important to me that my/our limits and boundaries get respected.

It's also part of our job here to use the expertise and experience we have in these kinds of changes to guide them (which is what makes it different here than just a random forum where everyone talking is a peer). I promise I am not setting these limits or asking for them just because or to make things harder for you: I'm asking for what I am based on what I know about what tends to work and what doesn't.

I *am* willing to have the kind of conversation I suggested in my response previous. I am not willing to keep having you say what happened over and over and then have myself or others keep giving the same answers, only to stay in this loop.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic