Am I overreacting?

Questions and discussion about sexual or other abuse or assault, and support and help for survivors.
Forum rules
This area of the boards is expressly for support and help for those who are currently in or have survived abuse or assault. It is also for those seeking information or discussion about abuse or assault. Please make every effort in this space to be supportive and sensitive. Posts in this area may or do describe abuse or assault explicitly.

This area of the boards is also not an area where those who are themselves abusing anyone or who have abused or assaulted someone may post about doing that or seek support. We are not qualified to provide that kind of help, and that also would make a space like this feel profoundly unsafe for those who are being or who have been abused. If you have both been abused and are abusing, we can only discuss harm done to you: we cannot discuss you yourself doing harm to others. If you are someone engaging in abuse who would like help, you can start by seeking out a mental healthcare provider.
eliza
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: motivated
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual

Am I overreacting?

Unread post by eliza »

About a week ago, I was sexually assaulted by a man I don't know. It could have turned to rape, but he stopped pretty quickly because he didn't want to get caught (it was at a party). It's extremely hard to talk about, and I've only told one person. I keep getting flashbacks and I often feel unsafe. I'm not sure if this is a normal reaction or if I'm overreacting.
Onionpie
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Absolutely Everything
Sexual identity: fluid

Re: Am I overreacting?

Unread post by Onionpie »

Hi eliza! Welcome to Scarleteen, although I'm sorry it's under these circumstances! I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened to you. It's extremely brave of you to come here to talk to us about this, as you've said it's very hard to do. I really admire your ability to identify your needs and to take care of yourself! You absolutely are not overreacting to this situation. It is a very common reaction to sexual assault to feel unsafe and have flashbacks. Someone has violated your bodily autonomy, and that is bound to make you feel less safe.

Going forward, do you think you'd like to look into reporting this incident? If so, we can help you with figuring out how to go about that. If not, that's totally fine -- this is entirely your decision. With the one person you talked to about this, did they respond well? Did you feel able to talk about how you felt, and did you feel heard? You may find that talking to a professional would be very helpful, as a lot of people do benefit from that after a sexual assault. Is that something you would like to look into? If so, we can totally help with that as well!
eliza
not a newbie

Unread post by eliza »

I can't recall much from that night because I have to admit that neither of us were completely sober. I'm afraid to tell anyone else because of the stigma. And I'm only 15. It's really weird because I feel both safer when I talk about it, and also less safe like it becomes more real and I have to live it over again.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

Having mixed and conflicting feelings like you're having is totally understandable. So: you're saying you'd prefer not to talk to someone in person right now, is that right? That said, where would you like to go from here? What can we help you with? (If you just want to keep chatting here, by the way, we can do that! Just want to make sure we're not offering things that aren't useful or supportive to you.)
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
eliza
not a newbie

Unread post by eliza »

Talking on here has been nice. I feel like my emotions are real and valid and that make sense me feel safer. The friend I opened up to has also been very supportive, but I did kind of feel like they thought it was my fault. It's really difficult to feel like it's not my fault.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

I'm so sorry your friend has suggested that, even if they have been supportive in other ways: unfortunately, victim-blaming is not uncommon, and it's a pretty widely-held misconception that people who are assaulted are to blame for their own assault. But, in case it helps to hear it, it is not your fault. It is the fault of the person who chose to assault you.

Besides talking here, are you doing anything else to take care of yourself right now?
eliza
not a newbie

Unread post by eliza »

I have been reading and writing a lot because it is relaxing for me. I've also been doing a lot of running to clear my head. It's really difficult to eat, though I don't know why. I've mostly just been keeping to myself I guess.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

It's great that you have some strategies that are helpful. If you need more, we have a list of self-care helps here: Self-Care a La Carte.

Per the difficulty eating, that's understandable; losing your appetite is a pretty common response to stress. Sometimes it can be helpful to eat smaller meals more often, or to pick a few foods you know you really like and make sure you can get at least a few mouthfuls of those regularly. Not eating - even though you don't have an appetite - is something that can actually make you feel worse, so if you can manage it at all, it's important to eat something on a regular basis.

I have to head off in a few minutes, but there will be other staffers around soon. (In case you feel like you need more immediate support, you can call the hotline for sexual assault in your state on 1-800-942-6906.) Hang in there.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

Hi Eliza, just wanted to check in with you and see how you're doing today.
eliza
not a newbie

Unread post by eliza »

I'm feeling much better, thank you. My time on here has helped a lot, and my friend has been very supportive. Sometimes I'm scared because I get flashbacks of what happened, but I'm trying to push through it.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling a bit better. When you're having flashbacks, are you noticing that there's anything in particular that's triggering them? Have you had any luck doing grounding exercises to center yourself in the current moment when a flashback is happening?
eliza
not a newbie

Unread post by eliza »

Sometimes it's just how someone touches me, or if someone is standing too close to me. Other times it's random words or phrases, and I'm going to start keeping track of them. Normally I just wait for the flashback feeling to go away and I might feel a little shakey afterward.
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

Hello there, Eliza. I hope it's okay to chime in with some ideas.

Sometimes is helpful to focus on some object around to help yourself grounded. Like, maybe a blanket. You can focus on the color, the pattern, how does it feel when you touch it. For some people that works. Then, when you are feeling better you can always try a cup of tea or some soothing music if there's something you might enjoy.

I hope this can help you ate least a little bit. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic