It's really weighing me down a lot.

Questions and discussion about sexual or other abuse or assault, and support and help for survivors.
Forum rules
This area of the boards is expressly for support and help for those who are currently in or have survived abuse or assault. It is also for those seeking information or discussion about abuse or assault. Please make every effort in this space to be supportive and sensitive. Posts in this area may or do describe abuse or assault explicitly.

This area of the boards is also not an area where those who are themselves abusing anyone or who have abused or assaulted someone may post about doing that or seek support. We are not qualified to provide that kind of help, and that also would make a space like this feel profoundly unsafe for those who are being or who have been abused. If you have both been abused and are abusing, we can only discuss harm done to you: we cannot discuss you yourself doing harm to others. If you are someone engaging in abuse who would like help, you can start by seeking out a mental healthcare provider.
Audryll
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I don't know
Primary language: English

Re: It's really weighing me down a lot.

Unread post by Audryll »

Okay honestly... I don't want you guys to intervene or anything like tht. The reason for this is because. sometimes... It rly helps to let it out. And I know you're not tht kind of service..so..yeah. Sorry(pls don't say there's nothing to be sorry about, I want to say it...i wouldn't be me if I didn't say it)
Audryll
not a newbie

Unread post by Audryll »

I know this is irrelevant to this. But how do I vigorous exercise when my cramps are really bad? I do take supplements...Sometimes. Let's just say I'm a very forgetful person that's why I'm pretty much tht person tht will only finish a box of supplements in like..10years? :? I do have an okay diet though. I check how many kcal and what I eat a lot.(veges and fruits) So I don't rly know why it would be so bad though
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Can you please make a new, separate, thread for that question elsewhere? Thanks.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Audryll
not a newbie

Unread post by Audryll »

Can I ask you something though..?
Audryll
not a newbie

Unread post by Audryll »

Do you hate me......?
Audryll
not a newbie

Unread post by Audryll »

Sorry if this sounded offensive... I just wanted to know..
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

It doesn't sound offensive, but I am feeling very confused as to why you'd ask me that.

Do you feel that any of my behavior has reflected hatred -- a very intense ill will -- towards you? I have done my level best with you, as I do with all of our users, to be kind, helpful and respectful. I have also invested a great deal of time and care in responses to you, and to seeking out resources for you, all in the interest of providing you help and support.

I take my job and work here very seriously, and respect and kindness towards those who use our services is certainly a big part of not even doing my job well, but just doing it with the most basic kind of professionalism and ethics one should bring to any job.

If you feel any of my behavior has not been respectful or kind, has been unprofessional in any way, or has made you feel hated in any way, then by all means, please do let us know so that I can make whatever amends or corrections need be made to rectify that. If you do not feel comfortable, for any reason, issuing a complaint about me directly to me, you can use the contact form at the bottom of every page to send it to our general email and one of the other staff here can address this with you.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Audryll
not a newbie

Unread post by Audryll »

Sorry I just feel really bad sometimes... For posting too much and annoying you guys..
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

You are free to post as much as you like, as is any user here. When we do set limits - as we have with you by asking that you get in touch with help that is local to you - we do so because we feel that it is the best way to help you, and because as an organization there are some things we just can't do. Those limits are not about anyone feeling annoyed with you: they are part of us doing our job and doing our best to get you connected with people who can help you, something we all take very seriously.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Audryll
not a newbie

Unread post by Audryll »

I actually feel bad about telling you guys about the abuse.....is tht normal....?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants

Unread post by Sam W »

People react to abuse, and disclosing abuse, in all sorts of ways. And for some people there is definitely an element of feeling bad about disclosing. That's why one of the things Heather suggested you work on is learning how to counteract those negative thoughts and feelings about yourself. That way, you start learning how to shake off feeling bad.
Audryll
not a newbie

Unread post by Audryll »

How?
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: "I'm a woman phenomenally"
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Ashleah »

One of the things that was suggested was to stop saying negative things about yourself here and in other spaces. That can be a hard habit to break when it is one that you are use to, so admittedly, it can be hard. A way to practice that here is by reading over what you write before you post to make sure that you haven't said anything negative about yourself. If you have you can erase the statement and replace it with something validating or positive. So instead of something like "I suck" you can say "I am a good person". This would also include reminding yourself that you deserve to be safe, that you deserve to be treated kindly, that you deserve support. When you have negative thoughts about yourself, you try and redirect that thinking to a positive statement. If it helps you can say it out loud. By counteracting those negative thoughts it can free up the space for you to feel good about yourself.
Audryll
not a newbie

Unread post by Audryll »

How can I build self esteem?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

I think a good first step is getting into the habit Ashleah described above, of trying to eliminate negative self-talk from your life. I find that it can be easier to stop myself if I think "would I say this about my best friend?" My friend isn't terrible for making mistakes sometimes, and neither am I.
Audryll
not a newbie

Unread post by Audryll »

What's the second step?
Uhmm heather....I'm rly sorry if my question was nt good. I'm just always scared of people getting mad at me. Sorry...
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants

Unread post by Sam W »

I think this is one of those processes where you have to stay on step one for a little while. Undoing negative thought patterns tends to take time, so you end up practicing what Mo recommended for a bit before trying the next thing. Does that make sense?
Audryll
not a newbie

Unread post by Audryll »

Yeah okay. It rly seems impossible though. But I'll try...
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.

Unread post by Karyn »

Trying is really all you can do with something like this, and it does take time, like Sam said.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic