I think I'm demisexual?

Questions and discussion about your sexuality and how it's a part of who you are as a person.
Blueswan
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My curiosity
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Pan/fluid

I think I'm demisexual?

Unread post by Blueswan »

For those who don't know, a demisexual is a person who can only experience sexual attraction towards a person they have an emotional bound with. (Yes, that's over simplified, but that's all you need to know for my question. Here's a good article on it: http://demisexuality.org/articles/what- ... sexuality/ And another: https://lonerwolf.com/are-you-demisexual/).

So, I'm (just) out of my teens. I haven't dated, kissed, had sex etc. and haven't really had much of an interest in all that. Though I have a sex drive and fantasies (some crazy ones, in fact) I'm almost never attracted to people solely based on looks, and though I can have crushes, it's only after I've known a person for a while or have the illusion of knowing them. While I'd love to have sex with a person I cared about, sex in general doesn't appeal to me. To me, society in general seems sex obsessed to a bizarre degree. I have no intention of ever having casual sex or engage in hookup culture, as I have no interest in that whatsoever. I'm often misread as frigid or prudish.

I discovered demisexuality very recently, and it really seemed to fit to my feelings. However, I still worry that I'm actually just repressed or I've managed to still be confused. Do you think this fits? If anyone identifies as Demi, what's your experience?
Blueswan
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: I think I'm demisexual?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Blueswan,

I can't speak to the experience of being Demi, but what I can say is that if that feels like the right identity for you in this moment, you get to choose it. It may be that you identify that way your whole life, or that your identity shifts as you age. Either way, you get to label yourself in the way that feels right to you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic