ace?

Questions and discussion about your sexuality and how it's a part of who you are as a person.
tos3
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/they/xe
Sexual identity: gender is meaningless

ace?

Unread post by tos3 »

I'm a survivor of rape and COCSA. I currently identify as bisexual, though I rapidly oscillate between hypersexuality and sex-repulsion. Does this affect my orientation, and if so, is there a word for it?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: ace?

Unread post by Heather »

Orientation, as a frame, is really about what gender of people a person is attracted to (or not). How much desire a person does or does not have for sex with someone else (or themselves) isn't really part of that framework.

Whether or not a high or absent desire, or both, has an impact on your orientation is really one of those things only you can observe and know about yourself. It might, it might not, it might sometimes, but not others, but that's really for you to say for yourself.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Amanda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I ran a marathon!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Sexual identity: pansexual

Re: ace?

Unread post by Amanda »

Some people choose to distinguish between their sexual orientation and their general level of sexual feelings/expression. For example, someone could identify as pansexual and demisexual, which means they can experience attraction to people of any sex/gender identity, but only to people with whom they have a close emotional bond. There are many, many identity terms and communities out there--including asexual and graysexual. You can find great information and conversations happening here around these identities: http://www.asexuality.org/en/

Additionally, a good course of action right now could be introspection and self understanding from the inside, rather than thinking of yourself in terms of how to be understood from the outside. In other words, you don't need a label to validate what you experience and how you understand yourself! Do you journal at all? If not, that could be a really useful tool for working through your ideas and experiences. If you'd like I could add you to the Scarleteen journal group and you can journal here on the message boards within an exclusive community.
"We must not see any person as an abstraction. Instead, we must see in every person a universe with its own secrets, with its own treasures, with its own sources of anguish, and with some measure of triumph." -Elie Wiesel
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic