my ex and i broke up

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
ecd.17
Awesomeness Quotient: i am very caring
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual

my ex and i broke up

Unread post by ecd.17 »

recently my ex and i had to break up. we’ve dated before for 8 months and got back together around 3 weeks ago for 2 weeks. we broke up because of my parents disapproving of him. he’s not a bad guy but they don’t think we should be together. he respected that too and he said he didn’t want my parents and i to argue because of him and that’s why we ended things, it was pretty mutual actually. he said he still loved me but it just wasn’t the right time for us to be together. although now he hardly texts me and he is talking to another girl. i love him but i don’t know how to prove to him that we could make it work. i have even talked with my parents and they are okay with us hanging out in public with my friends but he is still scared that of what will happen. i can’t like anyone else because of how much i love him. any suggestions? :cry:
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Re: my ex and i broke up

Unread post by Siân »

Welcome to the boards.

Breakups are really tough, I'm sorry. How are you feeling?

I hear that you feel like if you fixed this one thing - your parent's disapproval - you could have a good relationship. It's really common when a relationship ends to feel like if we sorted out this *one thing* we could be with that person. Sometimes we might even be right. But trying to prove something, or change someone's mind is not kind to ourselves or respectful of them.

Honestly, I think that the best thing that you can do is work on accepting that this is done, and letting yourself grieve and then focusing on all the other things you care about. Maybe at some point it will become apparent that things are different and you could give it another shot, maybe not. I would suggest though that that isn't the best main goal for you right now. Take a read of this: Getting Through a Breakup Without Actually Breaking. What do you think?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic