Relationship quality over long distance

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
DArwin
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: He
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Relationship quality over long distance

Unread post by DArwin »

Hello
I am heading off to college in a couple of years and I wonder if spending more time with my girlfriend will make it harder to have a long distance relationship. and also just any long distance relationship advice
Thank you in advance
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Relationship quality over long distance

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi DArwin,

That's a tricky question, because for some people spending a lot of time in a relationship prior to it becoming long distance can help lay a foundation that makes it easier to maintain the relationship. But other folks find that if they've gotten used to spending a ton of time with their partner, that can make the transition to a long-distance relationship even harder. So, a helpful starting place may be: what do you want to do? And how does that line up with what your girlfriend would like to do?

As for more general advice on long distance relationships, this article is a good place to start getting that information: Going the Distance: A Few Thoughts on Long-Distance Relationships
DArwin
not a newbie

Unread post by DArwin »

Hi
thank you for responding
I have asked her this question, and she seemed indecisive but said she would want to spend more time together, and I would like to spend more time with her
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Unread post by Siân »

Hi DArwin,

It sounds like you both know what you want! It's impossible to predict how things will turn out in the long term - especially if you have a couple of years before you go to college and long distance becomes a possible part of your life - so I'd say if this feels good now go for it. Of course, you can (and should) keep talking about what you both want, and know that those things can change with time. Does that make sense?
DArwin
not a newbie

Unread post by DArwin »

Yes it does thank you
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic