Talking about sexual stuff with friends, like fantasies.

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
KittyPink
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I do art.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Xe/Xir or She/her
Sexual identity: Lesbian, switch, polyam, rope addict.

Talking about sexual stuff with friends, like fantasies.

Unread post by KittyPink »

I feel like this is something that a lot of people do with friends, like a completely platonic friend. But, some times I feel like I'm being a little too open even know my one friend is a chill person I can trust. My guess is it's just social mores or something causing me to feel this way?
"You are a dreamcatcher, you are beautiful to look at and you take the bad away and only give people the good." - Andrea Blankenship

***Transfeminine***

LIVE AND LEARN
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: hetero

Re: Talking about sexual stuff with friends, like fantasies.

Unread post by Alice O »

This is an area that just completely depends on the relationship--in one friendship there might be no talk of sexual experiences or desires, and in another there might be very open, even graphic, talk about these subjects. If you're wanting to chat with friends, or even just this one friend, about sexual subjects I would suggest directly asking if they are comfortable with/interested in that. If they say yes, than hopefully you can worry less about being "too open." (Although it is also of course helpful to check-in with body language/energy as well.) Because as long as the other person is interested, there is absolutely nothing wrong with talking about sexual subjects with friends! In fact, it can be a great affirming and/or educational experience.
thewrit3r
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I’m pretty smart
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Re: Talking about sexual stuff with friends, like fantasies.

Unread post by thewrit3r »

I'd actually love to talk to my friends about that but I've never meant anyone as open, or I just haven't been as open being an introvert. But I think what Alice said fits the bill - just ask! Sometimes we spend so much time wondering what people are thinking when the only way to find out is to ask them. I know I spend too much time trying to read people's minds but I have to realize that I will never know what's going on in someone's head unless they tell me honestly what's up.
"The writer is by nature a dreamer - a conscious dreamer."
-Carson McCullers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic