How to deal with being away from a significant other for an extended period of time?

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
KittyPink
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I do art.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Xe/Xir or She/her
Sexual identity: Lesbian, switch, polyam, rope addict.

How to deal with being away from a significant other for an extended period of time?

Unread post by KittyPink »

I'm going to be with my mother for the summer for two and half months, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to deal with being away from a significant other for a long period of time. (Oh, and if anyone has tips for homesickness, that would be appreciated as well.)
"You are a dreamcatcher, you are beautiful to look at and you take the bad away and only give people the good." - Andrea Blankenship

***Transfeminine***

LIVE AND LEARN
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: How to deal with being away from a significant other for an extended period of time?

Unread post by Mo »

It can help to talk about and set up some sort of regular, reliable communication. A scheduled phone call or skype chat every day or two (or however often feels right for y'all) is one way to do that. Some people prefer ongoing, short messages like texts throughout the day, and still others like to send physical mail to keep in touch when they're apart. That's how people did long-distance relationships for centuries, after all! Exchanging a small gift or personal item that you can hold or look at to feel close to your partner can be nice too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic