Parents

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
kindascared
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my artistic abilities
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Parents

Unread post by kindascared »

Doesn't anyone have advice for a girl who is super anxious about meeting her boyfriend's parents?
capablehippie
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I can make bread, all by myself
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Re: Parents

Unread post by capablehippie »

I know I was nervous to meet my boyfriend's mom because she is very strict. I think it's important to be yourself (I know, I know, it's cliché and sometimes hard to do under pressure). Your chances of developing a good relationship with them are not very high if they don't know who you really are though, and you don't want to have to pretend to be someone you're not every time you see them. Is there a specific reason(s) that you are anxious about meeting them?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

capablehippie asked a really good question! Sometimes, when you're trying to figure out how to deal with a new situation, it can help to narrow down a bit (if you can) what it is about that new situation that scares you, and then come up with some possible solutions. So, for example, if you're worried that you won't have anything to talk to them about, you might sit down with your boyfriend and brainstorm a few possible topics of conversation.

Does that help at all?
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
JboySpa
Pronouns: he

Unread post by JboySpa »

Be natural and respectful, just not rude I'd say.

Don't be afraid to say something that's on your mind as long as it's not going to hurt someone. You'll never know if people will like your or not if you aren't yourself. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic