I think we're friends with benefits, but I want an actual relationship?

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
Volleygirl22
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Can spike a volleyball, but am only 4'9"
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Les

I think we're friends with benefits, but I want an actual relationship?

Unread post by Volleygirl22 »

I've posted a question about this guy I like, before. We ended up talking about sex, and both said it's something we'd love to do, so we did. We still talk and everything, so no issues there. But in the back of my head, I'm having the feeling that was the start of a friends with benefits relationship. I want to be in an actual relationship with him though. I have really strong feelings for him, and sex really amplified that. How can I bring this up to him? Should I just say outright that I want a relationship with him? Also, lately, whenever I see him, I think about sex. I want to do it with him again. Is that something I should talk about, when I ask about the relationship, or should I just make a move?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: I think we're friends with benefits, but I want an actual relationship?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi volleygirl,

I think this is one of those instances where being direct is your best bet. So, you and he could talk about what you each want from this relationship, and then see if those desires are compatible. I will say that it's sound to take some time for yourself to think about what you'll do if his answer doesn't match with you needs.
Volleygirl22
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Can spike a volleyball, but am only 4'9"
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Les

Unread post by Volleygirl22 »

Okay, I'll do that. This is probably somerhing I'd get a different answer from everyone about, but would you say it's bad that we had sex even though we aren't in a relationship? Neither one of us has been with anyone else, and we still talk about it once in a while
Amanda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I ran a marathon!
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Sexual identity: pansexual

Unread post by Amanda »

Hi Volleygirl,

I don't think anyone here at Scarleteen would say it's "bad" that you had sex. If sex was something you wanted to do, that your partner wanted to do, and that you felt ready for, I am totally unwilling to make any kind of value judgement about it. :) People can have mature, mutually fulfilling sexual experiences or relationships with one another without being in a long-term or monogamous partnership. The key to these kinds of relationships though is the same for ANY kind of relationship, and that is mutual respect for one another's boundaries and feelings, and strong communication about and negotiation of expectations. So I'm with Sam: you should talk it out, and be prepared for whatever may come out of the conversation.
"We must not see any person as an abstraction. Instead, we must see in every person a universe with its own secrets, with its own treasures, with its own sources of anguish, and with some measure of triumph." -Elie Wiesel
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic