Lack of interest in sexual contact...

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
CrimsonSong
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to learn new things and love making art.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her or They/Them
Sexual identity: Asexual Panromantic

Lack of interest in sexual contact...

Unread post by CrimsonSong »

As far as I can remember, I haven't felt any sexual desire or need to have sex or to masturbate. Although, despite researching it, I can't really figure out why that is. It makes me feel like something isn't right, especially as a pubescent teen. I refer to myself as 'Asexual', because that is the best way to convey what I am, but it just feels odd. It may be worth mentioning that I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder about a year ago.

Is this a weird or uncommon thing? Also, can my depression affect this?
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Lack of interest in sexual contact...

Unread post by al »

Hi there CrimsonSong, and welcome to Scarleteen!

There's nothing weird about not feeling like you want to have sex or be sexual. There are plenty of folks who identify as asexual, or simply don't want to have sex. It could be something that your feelings about change over time, or it could be something that's just a part of who you are. And that's okay! If you haven't read it already, you might find Just The Basics, Ace: An Asexuality Primer and Don't Want To Have Sex? helpful.
As for what you brought up, lack of sexual drive can be a symptom of depression, or antidepressants themselves. Are you still seeing the provider that gave you your diagnosis? If so, have you mentioned this to them at all?
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
CrimsonSong
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to learn new things and love making art.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her or They/Them
Sexual identity: Asexual Panromantic

Re: Lack of interest in sexual contact...

Unread post by CrimsonSong »

Thank you for responding so quickly!

I'll definetly check those links out when I get a chance, and I haven't had a chance to talk to my doctor since I've noticed this, but next time I see him I'll ask him about it! Thank you so much for your help!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic