I don't know what I'm feeling when I masturbate.

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
latestarter
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm good at art
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual

I don't know what I'm feeling when I masturbate.

Unread post by latestarter »

I've recently tried masturbating, and after a while, I get this kind of buzz and it feels a bit like I'm floating. It's rather mild though, and after a while (ten-twenty seconds?) I feel too uncomfortable and sensitive to go on masturbating, so I stop, and it just fades away. I've read some posts and articles, and it doesn't really feel like I've reached something? Is what I'm feeling just arousal?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Re: I don't know what I'm feeling when I masturbate.

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi latestarter,

We can't say for certain what you're feeling, although it could be that what you're feeling is arousal. Too, there are certain body parts (like the clitoris) that can get very sensitive for some people very quickly, so depending on what parts of your body are receiving the bulk of the stimulation, that could be a factor as well.

When you've tried masturbating, have you been mentally aroused (turned on)? And when you've tried it, have you varied the technique you're using at all, or have you tried the same thing each time?
latestarter
not a newbie

Hi Sam,

I supposed that I was mentally aroused? It doesn't really work if I'm not. I haven't really try varying technique, though I did try avoiding my clitoris and rubbing around it to try and prevent oversensitivity. I haven't done much penetration because I don't really feel much when I try and it doesn't really appeal to me. It's definitely the clitoris that I focus on, though.

Thanks,
latestarter
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Got it. So, something you could try is varying things like position, pressure, and motion when you masturbate to see if there are ways of doing it that feel pleasurable to you. Masturbation can sometimes require more trial and error than we're expecting. Too, have you considered introducing sex toys into the mix? Sometimes the new or different sensations provided by toys can help you find a way of masturbating that feels good for you.

Prior to the point where it gets too sensitive and uncomfortable, is the buzzing and floating sensation pleasurable at all? Or does it feel sort of uninteresting or underwhelming?
latestarter
not a newbie

Yes, the floating sensation is pleasurable, but at times I don't really feel it. I should try experimenting, but since I'm still a teenager, I haven't really considered sex toys. Thank you for your help :)
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome! If you're curious about experimenting with sex toys in a way that's safe, this article can help you out: D.I.Y. Sex Toys: Self-Love Edition . Too, something to keep in mind as you continue experimenting is that the goal of masturbation doesn't have to be orgasm; you can instead focus on creating sensations that feel good to you in some way, and treat orgasm as an extra bonus if it happens.
latestarter
not a newbie

Thanks— you helped me a lot
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic