Need some advice. I want to change things up

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
Volleygirl22
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Can spike a volleyball, but am only 4'9"
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Les

Need some advice. I want to change things up

Unread post by Volleygirl22 »

So my relationship with my girlfriend is going amazing! I feel a lot closer to her than I did when I was in a relationship with a guy. When it comes to sex, she’s usually the dominant one and I do like it that way, but I would like to change it up and try being the dominant one. I was wondering if I could ask for some advice on that?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Need some advice. I want to change things up

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Volleygirl,

Glad to hear your relationship is still going well! Talking about roles with a partner is like talking about any other element of sex: being honest and open to at least a little bit of trial and error goes a long way. If you haven't looked at this article before, or need a refresher on it, it gives a ton of advice on how to talk about different sexual things with your partner: Be a Blabbermouth! The Whats, Whys and Hows of Talking About Sex With a Partner . When your bringing up being interested in switching your roles up, it may also help to mention what's making you interested in it (even if the answer is," because I'm curious") and if there are any specific activities you'd like to try. That gives the two of your a starting point for exploring this dynamic.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Need some advice. I want to change things up

Unread post by Heather »

(Too, it may help for both of you to remember that there doesn’t have to be a “dominant one” in the first place. One partner being dominant and the other submissive is one way to be sexual together, but not the only way. You can also be sexual together in ways where everyone involved is active or initiating. :))
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic