sex toys?

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
shygirl14
Awesomeness Quotient: my singing voice
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

sex toys?

Unread post by shygirl14 »

hello everyone! im a 14 year old girl and I was wondering if my parents would find out if I ordered a sex toy online? Is it legal for me to do so and would they be angry? i had picked out a lipstick-shaped vibrator thats very inexpensive and I have my own credit card that my parents sometimes put money on.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: sex toys?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi shygirl and welcome to Scarleteen,

If you've got your own credit card, then the main things to consider are if you're comfortable answering potential questions when the box arrives in the mail (I'm assuming that your family is one where people respect each other's privacy enough to not open your mail, but please let me know if I'm wrong) and if you have a place to keep the vibrator where it's unlikely to be discovered.

As for how your parents might feel about this, that's actually something you can answer better than I can because you know them much better than I do. Have they ever indicated how they feel about things like sex toys? And do you get the sense that they're pretty excepting of sexuality, or do they seem to view it as taboo or shameful?
shygirl14

well, my parents know that i order a lot of jewelry and stuff online so i doubt they would question it. and im not sure, me and my mom are pretty close and i don't think she would be mad but she might think that im too young. I have a drawer at the bottom of my dresser that my parents wouldn't look in so I don't really think they would be mad, I just think it would be embarrassing if they found out.
shygirl14

Im just not sure if i should ask my mom or just order it
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Got it. That choice is ultimately up to you based on how comfortable you are talking to your mom about this and your comfort with the possible outcomes of talking to her. One thing you could try is making a pros and cons list in regards to telling you mom and seeing if that helps you work out what choice feels right to you. For instance, it sounds like you're not thrilled by the idea that they might accidentally find out about your purchase, so you can do some thinking as to whether avoiding that outcome is a "pro" that cancels out "cons" like your mom possibly saying "no" if you tell her your plan. Too, just going through the thought process of weighing your options and the different outcomes can help you come to a decision. Does that all make sense?
shygirl14

yes, ill probably make a list and figure it out. thank you!
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome!
Balletdancer
Awesomeness Quotient: Face
Pronouns: Me
Sexual identity: Straight maybe a bit bi

Unread post by Balletdancer »

I really want to get a vibrater but my mum and dad won't let me. My mum once caught me mastebating ( with hand) and she told me to stop it and do something else. I feel really sexual and want to have something I can do about it I'm only 13 btw
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic