Crushing (hard)

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
thewrit3r
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I’m pretty smart
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Crushing (hard)

Unread post by thewrit3r »

So I’ve been at my new college for a while but I recently realized I have this MAJOR crush on this staff member. I know there’s no relationship allowed between staff and student, so I’m not going to ask him out or anything like that. But my feelings are stubborn :P I’ve never majorly crushed on a guy back in grade school, so this is all new to me. The thing is, I like this guy as a friend, too, and would like to get to know him better in that regard. But I freeze up every time I see him! I can’t even look at him without blushing. We have spoken before but nothing beyond the usual small talk. How do I get myself to talk to him?
"The writer is by nature a dreamer - a conscious dreamer."
-Carson McCullers
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Crushing (hard)

Unread post by Mo »

It sounds like you need to be patient with yourself! :) It's ok to get to know someone slowly. It sounds like you've spoken a little bit before now, so I don't think you need to push yourself really hard here; maybe try to initiate a small conversation every couple of times that you interact and see if it feels easier over time.
One thing I like about crushes is that they can be fun even if and when you know you aren't going to pursue the other person or tell them about your feelings. It can still be enjoyable to have a person in your life you get excited and fluttery feelings about whenever you interact!
thewrit3r
not a newbie

True, I guess I just feel like I keep finding excuses not to talk to him because I’m so nervous. I have things to say to him, I just feel like I can’t which is sort of frustrating. I mean when I actually talk to him it’s easier, but it’s still difficult haha. But I’m sure it will get easier in time (at least I hope it will :P).

And it is exciting, it’s just a new feeling for me so I’m not used to it. But I like the way I feel and I don’t like the way I feel because I feel uncomfortable. Does that make sense?
-Carson McCullers
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: hetero

Unread post by Alice O »

Totally makes sense! When I have a new crush I alternate between being like "THIS FEELING IS THE BEST" and "THIS FEELING IS THE WORST." So I'm right there with ya the writ3r :)
thewrit3r
not a newbie

Haha it’s nice to know that I’m not the only one and it can happen to anyone regardless of age. I finally managed to speak to him this week even though it was just small talk but it was better than nothing :) I’m sure it’ll get easier in time.

Thanks for responding. I know my question wasn’t super serious or anything but I appreciate the response :)
-Carson McCullers
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

We're not only here to talk about the most serious questions! :) Crushes are important to talk about too (and I mean that completely sincerely). I'm glad you had a chance to talk with him this week! I bet you're right that it'll get easier with time and practice.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic