Implant and EC

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
Bubble202
Pronouns: Them

Implant and EC

Unread post by Bubble202 »

I had Implanon inserted six days ago. My issue is that I had sex with my long term partner six days after insertion. My periods have been irregular since a very stressful exam period a few months ago. I had the implant inserted on day two of what I believe was my period and my doctor said it was effective immediately (I have always had a 32 day cycle but it was two weeks late last time but then unexpectedly I had light bleeding for five days starting from the day my period should have come if I had not had it be two weeks late the month prior. I believe it was my period as I have experienced spotting once or twice and that was a tiny light pink smudge but this was bleeding but not as much as usual.) Now to my issue at hand, we didn't use a condom and engaged in PIV for approximately 20 seconds before I realised it had not been seven days and he withdrew. He had not ejaculated in a day and had urinated many times in between including about five minutes before. My question is because of this should I take emergency contraception or is it more likely the implant is working away?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Implant and EC

Unread post by Heather »

The implant is more effective than EC, so there is simply no need. There's nothing it can do your implant isn't already doing, and doing more effectively.

But it sounds like you found out you don't feel comfortable going without condoms: do you need any help talking to your partner about that?

Too, just for moving forward, know that spotting is the most common side effect of the implant.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Bubble202

Thank you for your speedy reply :) So just to be sure, would the implant be working effectively by now even if for some reason I had experienced spotting instead of my period? I am guilty of internet searching and getting scared about the seven day rule most places cite.

I for sure did, this is the first time I've used an invisible method as we previously relied on barrier method and withdrawal. We communicate well so I think I shouldn't have any problems speaking to him about it but thank you so very much.

My doctor had said about the spotting and also said that if it became too much she could put me on a low dose pill to balance out the hormones.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

The timing of your insertion makes the implant is effective immediately, like your healthcare provider told you.

Do yourself a solid and put Dr. Google AWAY. ;) He's a terrible doctor. Trust the actual doctor.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Bubble202

That's brilliant, thank you so much. I feel really relieved! Hahahaha my boyfriend said the same thing :lol: Thanks again!
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Happy to be of service. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic