Concerned about masturbation?

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
Nord100
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Concerned about masturbation?

Unread post by Nord100 »

Hey,
So I feel extremely awkward even talking about this on here even though I know masturbation is normal and everyone on here is very accepting, I still feel as if I'm overthinking things. Skip to the bottom for a tl;dr. I'm a 17 yo girl and I've never been very comfortable with messing around "down there" other than cleaning. For the past year or so I've been kind of curious about masturbation but haven't done anything about it until last night. I tried just palming myself over my underwear and though it felt nice, i didn't climax. So I went to bed. I woke up early in the morning, around 6 which is unusual for me and I was aroused so I tried again. I think I climaxed or came extremely close? Either way I felt good after and went back to sleep.

So this morning I was dumbfounded at what I had done, which I assume is normal. I was happy with how good it felt. But all today, i was working on homework and the feeling of arousal/wanting to masturbate was in the back of my mind. It scared me bc I'm slightly afraid that the more I do it, the more I'll want to do it and I'll eventually have the urges all day and become a sex addict or something which sounds dumb. But I got tired with the constant feeling so sometime in the afternoon I did it again and think I climaxed and I felt satisfied after. I had a frequent urge to urinate after though? And a few minutes after, the urge was still slightly there. After using the restroom several times within a handful of hours after masturbating, both urges have gone away for right now.

The KEY to all of this, I think, is that (according to a period app) I'm ovulating right now and I know that increases arousal bc the body wants to procreate. I know it also increases hormones, along with the ones I'm probably chock full of for just being a teenager.

Tl;dr: Is the sudden arousal/urge to masturbate related to my ovulating? Is it just making my hormones go crazy and because I indulged for the first time, my body wants more to get pregnant? As ridiculous as it sounds, is it dangerous to my health to masturbate multiple times a day or every day, and can I become a sex addict from it? I'm just scared tbh. I don't want to always be thinking about it or doing it. I regret even trying despite how it feels in the moment.

Thanks
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Concerned about masturbation?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi nord, and welcome to Scarleteen

It could very well be that where you are in your cycle is causing you to be hornier than usual (as a side note, unless the app is having you track your temperature and cervical mucus, it can't give you an accurate account of where you are in your cycle). Too, you've just started experimenting with this and found out it feels good. So there's some novelty to it, and part of your brain is probably going "whoo, that was fun, let's do that again."

It's not dangerous to your health to masturbate a few times a day. Generally, the only times masturbation becomes a problem are if you're doing it compulsively (in other words, it's no longer fun but you do it anyway) or if you're doing it so much that it's interfering with other parts of your life. I will say that, for many people, it's pretty normal to have "masturbating/sex would be nice right now" thoughts floating around in their heads during the day. It's something you just learn to manage, kind of like being hungry when you can't take a break for food. Does that make sense?

As for the feeling like you need to pee when you masturbate, depending on how you go about masturbating you could be putting pressure on your bladder, which would make you feel like you needed to go to the bathroom.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic