Things You Should Never Say: Parenting

Questions and discussion about pregnancy, pregnancy options and/or any part of parenting.
Forum rules
IF YOU ARE POSTING TO ASK IF YOU SHOULD USE EMERGENCY CONTRACEPTION:

Please do not wait on us if you may need or want EC (like the morning-after pill). Because it is most effective the sooner it is taken or administered, we suggest that you go ahead and get it, and if you want to talk to someone about whether or not you choose to use it, we can do that with you after. That way, you have it ASAP if you do decide you want or need to use it. <3
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: "I'm a woman phenomenally"
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Things You Should Never Say: Parenting

Unread post by Ashleah »

Found a great piece about things we say that are hurtful to teens who decided to parent.

100 Things You Should Never Say...

If you are a teen parent or know anyone who has decided to parent what would you add to this list? Which items stand out to you and why?
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer

Re: Things You Should Never Say: Pregnancy

Unread post by Ashleah »

I got pregnant my sophomore year of college. My undergrad definitely didn't have a culture that was supportive of young parents. During my pregnancy the responses from faculty and support staff was somewhat discouraging even though I think they meant well. EVERYONE I confided in said I should take a break from school. I had no intentions to especially since my son was due during a summer break. I think it would have been more helpful for them to see what I wanted to do and help me come up with a plan for completing my goal.

During my intro to women's studies class we were reading the Price of Motherhood (good book). The professor would go on and on about how having children was a bad decision and to put it off as long as possible if you had them at all. She didn't know I was pregnant but that definitely didn't make me feel great. We had to write about the book in which I decided to reveal that I was pregnant. I focused on identifying the positive outcomes for my situation and how I could still be successful in the workforce. She apologized for her rants after reading my paper which I appreciated.
Emma
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My love of travel and exploration!
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Don't use any :)

Unread post by Emma »

That's so freaking cool of you, Ashleah. I'll bet your paper was amazing, the professor must have been mortified. :/ Good for you for being so tolerant and forgiving!
"What happens when people open their hearts? They get better." — Haruki Murakami
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Ashleah »

:) Thanks Emma
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic