The "Talk"

Questions and discussion about pregnancy, pregnancy options and/or any part of parenting.
Forum rules
IF YOU ARE POSTING TO ASK IF YOU SHOULD USE EMERGENCY CONTRACEPTION:

Please do not wait on us if you may need or want EC (like the morning-after pill). Because it is most effective the sooner it is taken or administered, we suggest that you go ahead and get it, and if you want to talk to someone about whether or not you choose to use it, we can do that with you after. That way, you have it ASAP if you do decide you want or need to use it. <3
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: "I'm a woman phenomenally"
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

The "Talk"

Unread post by Ashleah »

Talking to parents/guardians about sex and sexuality can be awkward :oops: :shock: :o --or it can be a completely comfortable thing :). Some of us get the "talk" while others are bombarded with info and lucky (or unlucky) enough to get personal stories from parents past.

How do (or did) you and your parents or guardians communicate about sex? What works well? What would you want to change? How did you feel? Just give the run down!

For me...

My parents are divorced so I had different experiences with each of them when it came to communicating about sex.

My dad was not open at all to talk about topics of sex and sexuality! After I got a "serious" boyfriend in high school he tried his best to bring up the topic one time. He asked could we talk and proceeded to tell me a story about dirty ice water (to this day I still don't know what he was talking about). After 5 minutes of confusion, I interrupted him and asked "Dad, are you talking about sex?" He just blushed and sat silently while I reassured him that I understood how safe sex was practiced. That was it from him.

Thankfully, my mom was the complete opposite. She did not approach me with the topic of sex but she would always answer my questions honestly. She did not restrict me from accessing information and encouraged me to talk to adults younger than her as well. She also got me books about physical development before changes were expected so that I could feel prepared. Because of her openness, I felt comfortable asking her if I could start using birth control. She scheduled an appointment for me so that I could talk to my doctor. I overestimated how comfortable she was though, I decided to tell her that I had started to have sex and she wasn't right for a couple of days lol.

Overall, I'm happy with the way my mother handled things. Because she did not keep me from accurate information I felt prepared to be sexually responsible. I do wish she had been more proactive though, it can be hard to sort through all the info we get about sex, especially from peers! I remember that my older cousin was the one to tell the logistics of sex when I was 8 and my mind was blown! I went back and asked my mom about it, but it would have been nice to get that from her.

I also wish both of my parents would have talked to me more about relationships, especially when it comes to what is healthy. But to be fair, I'm not sure they know and I probably would have just rolled my eyes at them if they tried. Bc of my mom, I had all the info I need about safe sex but unfortunately that doesn't matter much when you are in an unhealthy relationship with manipulation and pressure!