Planning an abortion- the CPC trick...

Questions and discussion for those who are or have been pregnant (or have pregnant partners), parenting or about options with an unintended pregnancy.
No pregnancy scare posts here, please.

Moderators: Heather, Johanna, ashleah, Staff & Volunteers

Forum rules
This area of the boards is for:
• People (or their partners) who are or have been actually pregnant: not might be, not worry they are, but who have verified a pregnancy with a home pregnancy test, a test from a clinic, a doctor's exam or with birth or a termination
• People (or their partners) who are pregnant looking for help and support choosing between remaining pregnant and then choosing to parent or arrange an adoption, or terminating a pregnancy with an abortion
• People looking for help or support after making any of those choices, or making them with a partner
• People looking for various kinds of information about pregnancy, and options with pregnancy, including things like healthcare and birth choices
• People wanting help with parenting, particularly around sexuality or relationship issues

Please do NOT post pregnancy scares here, or "Am I pregnant?"-s. If and when you are currently or have been pregnant, especially unintendedly, having someone talk about their fears who is clearly not pregnant, or who is not even willing to take a test to find out can feel deeply maddening and frustrating. Talking about a pregnancy fear as if it were an actual pregnancy is also deeply disrespectful to people dealing with actual pregnancies.

If you have questions about if you should seek out emergency contraception, take a pregnancy test, how methods of contraception work, or what things you have chosen to do may or may not have presented pregnancy risks, those questions belong in another forum, such as the Sexual Health forum, the Bodies forum or the Ask Us forum. Thank you!

Planning an abortion- the CPC trick...

Postby Stephanie » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:53 pm

So a lot of people are probably wondering what the CPC trick is. if you've been there you know- if you haven't, here's to hoping you never are. Many places list themselves as pro-choice or women's rights places, but when you get in the door you find they're focused in making women choose adoption or parenting and don't have a problem with making them feel bad if that's not the choice they make.

After being tricked myself, and thanks to a TON of support from people who actually do care about me and my right to choose, I'm working past that experience. More than anything I'm hoping no one else has had to- but this is a place if you have or are worried you may and need help findings safe place.
Stephanie
scarleteen staff/volunteer

Awesomeness Quotient: Social Butterfly :)
Primary language: English
Preferred pronouns: She/ her
Sexual identity and orientation: Bisexual

Re: Planning an abortion- the CPC trick...

Postby CraftyKid » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:15 pm

Wow that is truly scary. I am sorry to hear that you went through that Stephanie. I'm glad to read you are working past the experience.

I have not heard of this until now, thank you for sharing this information with us!
CraftyKid
peer moderator

Awesomeness Quotient: I can raise plants from the dead
Preferred pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity and orientation: cis female

Postby Heather » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:05 am

For more information on CPCs in general, should anyone want it, here's a starting place here on the site: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/abuse_assault/crisis_pregnancy_centers_harm_not_help
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Heather
scarleteen founder & director

Awesomeness Quotient: I know every word of The Lorax by heart.
Preferred pronouns: They/them or she/her
Sexual identity and orientation: Queer

Postby Fender909 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:15 pm

I found this informational video by VICE on CPCs recently, if anybody is interested in learning more: http://youtu.be/g-ex4Q-z-is

I personally think these are scary places when you're only trying to seek help.
Fender909
not a newbie

Awesomeness Quotient: My passion for music.
Preferred pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity and orientation: Pansexual

Postby Heather » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:11 pm

They're very scary. You know, I was just in Vancouver, WA, recently for a conference, and in just driving around to find places to shop for food, saw three of these places within a five to ten mile radius. And while I've been in all of this long enough to recognize the kind of coded language they use to make clear what they are, it is very, very easy to see how most people would not miss it. How, in other words, good they are at the intentional manipulations they do to get people in somewhere where most people heading in absolutely would not want to be. :(
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Heather
scarleteen founder & director

Awesomeness Quotient: I know every word of The Lorax by heart.
Preferred pronouns: They/them or she/her
Sexual identity and orientation: Queer

Postby Onionpie » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:09 pm

Ugh, the local buses have ads that say "Worried you might be pregnant? Scared? Lost? Looking for help?" or something, and it's a fricking Birthright ad. It says that they provide free pregnancy tests, too, to sucker more vulnerable people in. Yay :/ I always have the strong urge to deface those ads. I hate hate hate CPCs and really I think they shouldn't be allowed to advertise on public transport. I mean, I think they shouldn't be allowed to hide their intentions at all, but there you go... Luckily I know of the local AMAAAAZING abortion clinic, who are so so supportive and just so awesome, so I know to always go to them in the case of an unwanted pregnancy.
Onionpie

Awesomeness Quotient: Absolutely Everything
Sexual identity and orientation: fluid

Postby Redskies » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:40 am

There's some UK-specific information from Brook on CPCs, if anyone wants it: http://www.brook.org.uk/images/brook/pr ... iFINAL.pdf

I think they're scary, too. I remember being in my late teens and looking in the local phone book at pregnancy advice places - didn't need one, was looking at what was out there in case I ever did - and I remember very clearly that I thought the CPC places were the good ones and that the places that I now know are trustworthy, like the BPAS, were the bad ones. I wanted somewhere unbiased that would simply take care of me, listen to me, and take care of what I wanted, and I thought that was the CPCs, and I would've deliberately gone to a CPC if I'd needed a pregnancy service. That didn't happen in a vacuum: I'm a bit sponge-like with information, and I'd absorbed a lot of ambient information about how abortion was wrong and that abortion services were biased towards abortion and would try to lean their clients towards choosing abortion because that would make them more money. (For clarity, about abortion services: that's untrue.) I'd been exposed to very little pro-choice/pro-reproductive rights or medically accurate information, so the pool of absorbed information I had to draw on was horribly biased.

I get cold shivers at the thought I'd've ended up at a CPC if I'd become pregnant and about what might have happened as a result of that, and more angry than I have words to express that there of course were and are other "me"s who do become pregnant and do choose CPCs when all they wanted was unbiased, knowledgeable, sensitive care.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Redskies

Preferred pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity and orientation: queer/bisexual/pansexual

Postby Stephanie » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:59 am

Looking back, I can honestly say that so e of their words stuck. In some ways I feel like I should have known better- I worked wit ST a while and I taught sex ed. But then I realize just how good they are at suckering ppl in when they get someone with my background. And then the horror hits of what about those ppl that didn't have anyone like I did to turn to after.
Stephanie

Awesomeness Quotient: Social Butterfly :)
Preferred pronouns: She/ her
Sexual identity and orientation: Bisexual

Postby Keda » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:14 am

Wow, I didn't realise these places existed in the UK too - that's sad.
Keda
peer moderator

Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always nice, I just sometimes hide it well
Preferred pronouns: she
Sexual identity and orientation: Wibbly wobbly sexy wexy

Return to Pregnancy and Parenting