I'm sure I want to get Estrogen in the future, but the "second puberty" thing...

Questions and discussions about gender, gender roles and identity.
KittyPink
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I do art.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Xe/Xir or She/her
Sexual identity: Lesbian, switch, polyam, rope addict.

I'm sure I want to get Estrogen in the future, but the "second puberty" thing...

Unread post by KittyPink »

So, long story short, this is a follow-up on me not being sure earlier. So, I am certainly sure about my identity as a girl, but the whole having to go through a "second puberty" makes me scared and hesitant. I have reason to believe outside of just being weary of that, that the thought " I feel like I will be making the "wrong choice" when it comes to the time." stems from things my mother has said, such as I will regret it or in the case of surgery, I'll end up peeing in a bag. (It'd have to be botched pretty bad.) Additionally, I was thinking about the downsides of things such as breasts and estrogen in general, but to counter that I also thought of the downsides of having a little extra downstairs with testosterone. So, any thoughts?
"You are a dreamcatcher, you are beautiful to look at and you take the bad away and only give people the good." - Andrea Blankenship

***Transfeminine***

LIVE AND LEARN
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: I'm sure I want to get Estrogen in the future, but the "second puberty" thing...

Unread post by Mo »

Have you talked to other trans women who've had experience with hormone therapy, or read stories/testimonials from those who have? I think those are likely to be pretty helpful in terms of giving you an idea of what sorts of things you might expect. That's likely to be much more helpful than giving any credit to what your mom says; based on everything you've ever reported her saying, she doesn't really know much about what she's talking about and seems to be set on being negative and/or hateful.
It's pretty common for people considering hormone therapy to have some likely results that they're excited about and others they feel neutral or negative about, but often the desired outcomes overweigh the potential discomfort of others.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic