Sometimes I don't super strongly identify as a girl.

Questions and discussions about gender, gender roles and identity.
KittyPink
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I do art.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Xe/Xir or She/her
Sexual identity: Lesbian, switch, polyam, rope addict.

Sometimes I don't super strongly identify as a girl.

Unread post by KittyPink »

Like sometimes, I just don't care. But, it's not like I really identify as a guy. I feel like when I don't heavily relate to my female identity, it invalidates me as a whole as a female.
"You are a dreamcatcher, you are beautiful to look at and you take the bad away and only give people the good." - Andrea Blankenship

***Transfeminine***

LIVE AND LEARN
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Sometimes I don't super strongly identify as a girl.

Unread post by Karyn »

It absolutely doesn't invalidate you as a female (and you're definitely not the only person who feels that way, either - sometimes or all of the time).

I think you've mentioned before that you've read our Trans Summer School series, but your post reminded me of the "Am I Trans Enough?" section in particular, especially this line: "Everyone defines and relates to gender in their own way, and there’s no wrong way to gender." That includes not just how you express or identify your gender, but how strongly you feel about it. For some folks, their gender identity is a very significant and important part of who they are, and something they feel really consistently strongly about, but for other folks - sometimes or always - it just isn't that important or something they spend a lot of time thinking about. Everyone relates to their gender differently, but that doesn't mean that anyone's femininity (or masculinity, or genderqueer-ness, or agender-ness) is invalid or wrong.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
KittyPink
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I do art.
Pronouns: Xe/Xir or She/her
Sexual identity: Lesbian, switch, polyam, rope addict.

Unread post by KittyPink »

Karyn wrote:It absolutely doesn't invalidate you as a female (and you're definitely not the only person who feels that way, either - sometimes or all of the time).

I think you've mentioned before that you've read our Trans Summer School series, but your post reminded me of the "Am I Trans Enough?" section in particular, especially this line: "Everyone defines and relates to gender in their own way, and there’s no wrong way to gender." That includes not just how you express or identify your gender, but how strongly you feel about it. For some folks, their gender identity is a very significant and important part of who they are, and something they feel really consistently strongly about, but for other folks - sometimes or always - it just isn't that important or something they spend a lot of time thinking about. Everyone relates to their gender differently, but that doesn't mean that anyone's femininity (or masculinity, or genderqueer-ness, or agender-ness) is invalid or wrong.
Thanks, for helping me out with this! :)
"You are a dreamcatcher, you are beautiful to look at and you take the bad away and only give people the good." - Andrea Blankenship

***Transfeminine***

LIVE AND LEARN
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

You're very welcome. :)
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic