Ways to experiment with gender

Questions and discussions about gender, gender roles and identity.
Catherwren
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My fondness of music
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her they/them
Sexual identity: Gay

Ways to experiment with gender

Unread post by Catherwren »

Does anyone know any good ways to experiment with gender( other than dress) in a way where no one else will know?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Ways to experiment with gender

Unread post by Heather »

It depends on what you mean by that. :)

Gender is not just about how we externally present (when that's part of how we do), it's also about how we think about ourselves. Since no one can read your mind, there are no barriers as far as your own thoughts and imagination goes.

In terms of how you present, certainly how you present yourself alone, in your own room, is a place where no one else is, unless you share a room. What you wear under clothing is another option.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Danny S.
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm a dog parent :)
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Ways to experiment with gender

Unread post by Danny S. »

Hi Catherwren,
In terms of presentation, as Heather said, underclothes (like underwear, bras, binders, etc.) are a great way to play or experiment with gender expression. Another option that has helped me feel comfortable in my own gender presentation is scents- perfume, deodorant, etc. As an AFAB (assigned female at birth) person who is almost always read as female, wearing "men's" deodorant and occasionally cologne helps me identify more with my body. It can be exciting and incredibly freeing to make changes that get you even a little bit closer to feeling comfortable in your gender expression, so have fun and do what feels good to you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic