Curious about gender binary

Questions and discussions about gender, gender roles and identity.
ratperson
not a newbie

Curious about gender binary

Unread post by ratperson »

I've been wondering for a little while if it's possible to be both non-binary and cis. I know a few people who identify as non-binary and trans, but I wasn't sure if it's possible to be cis and non-binary, and anyone I've asked (tumblr) assumes I'm cis and takes the 'die cis scum' mentality, refusing to answer my question. I don't know if they see it as transphobic, and if it is I'm sorry, I'm just curious about if that's possible.
Amanda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I ran a marathon!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Sexual identity: pansexual

Re: Curious about gender binary

Unread post by Amanda »

Hi ratperson!

Soo... gender categories are the best thing people have been able to come up with (so far!) to describe the irreducible complexity of human gendered experience. They're imperfect, and sometimes feel difficult to understand and navigate. But in general, cisgendered people are understood to perform a gender that is the same as the one they were assigned at birth. Trans* on the other hand encapsulates many different expressions of non-normative gender, depending on the individual: those who transgress the gender binary by choosing to enact a gender different than the one they were assigned at birth, or those who transcend gender, and don't identify as either male or female. Basically, cis and trans are "opposite"-- although this binary might rub some people the wrong way-- and trans* may include people who identify as gender-queer, or otherwise non-binary; although some gender-queer, gender-fluid, or non-binary peeps may not group themselves under trans*. It's really a matter of self-definition and the power of name-claiming. You probably received a hostile response (not that it was warranted, per se) because trans* people may be wary of those who have cisgendered privilege (ie, people with normative gender/sex experiences or appearance) infringing upon a personal and political safe space for trans* folks and mis-using or appropriating certain terms. I don't at all mean to suggest you were doing this, but in their everyday lives trans* people face threats of violence, humiliation, exclusion, etc. so that's where some defensiveness might come from.

Basically, what is "possible" is culturally constructed through categories recognized and affirmed in our society. These categories are constantly adapted and negotiated, and most importantly are the result of power dynamics that privilege some and oppress others--for example, cis people are privileged and viewed as full gendered subjects, and people who do not conform to varying degrees face various kinds of oppression, and may claim names and identities to assert their personhood and social intelligibility in the context of social forces that dehumanize them.

I hope this helps... If it seems confusing and wishy-washy, it's because issues of identity are confusing and wishy-washy. Anyway, here's some more info from Scarleteen if you're interested: Genderpalooza! A Sex & Gender Primer

I'd also recommend reading some queer theory if you have the time (If you really want to have your mind blown, read some Judith Butler)! There are so many perspectives out there to consider, and the more you read and learn, the more rich and nuanced your understanding of gender (and yourself!) will become.
"We must not see any person as an abstraction. Instead, we must see in every person a universe with its own secrets, with its own treasures, with its own sources of anguish, and with some measure of triumph." -Elie Wiesel
ratperson
not a newbie

Unread post by ratperson »

Thanks so much for your answer, it's really helpful.

I'm not sure if I'm questioning my gender identity or whatever (I don't even know what I'm questioning...) or if my brain has just been thrown by a loop by going from 'wait I'm ADOPTED???' to 'wait I'm autistic too?????' in about eight months, and is now questioning everything. (Sort of a situation where I found out about being adopted by accident, which made me realize that my mom was lying that I can't have anxiety because bio-mom does and it's a genetic thing to some extent, which led to 'are they also lying about me being autistic? because it makes a lot of sense', which led to getting counseling and finding out that I *am* autistic...so a lot has changed mentally within the past few months.) But your answer was very helpful. ^-^ I'll read that article when I have more time, college is extremely busy right now.
Amanda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I ran a marathon!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Sexual identity: pansexual

Unread post by Amanda »

Wow that must be a lot to process. Kudos on getting connected with a councilor though, hopefully they will be able to facilitate this process of self-discovery! Good luck with everything. :D
"We must not see any person as an abstraction. Instead, we must see in every person a universe with its own secrets, with its own treasures, with its own sources of anguish, and with some measure of triumph." -Elie Wiesel
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic