Did I Screw Up? Perhaps Not?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Nonsequitur
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I’ve survived a week without crying
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her, They/Them
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Did I Screw Up? Perhaps Not?

Unread post by Nonsequitur »

Okay, how exactly do you use Plan B?
Obliviously, I know it’s used in emergencies, but with STD/Teen Pregnancy scarce, anything sexual sounds like an emergency (lol)

A bit of a narrative here, I have protected sex with my boyfriend. From the time of this post, I believe it was a day and a half ago.
Condom included. No fluids, such as semen was exchanged.
(from the look of it; definitely nothing was leaking from the condom. Condom was secured; no rips or tears)
That’s definitely a good thing, great, the condom did it’s job! Probably not even pregnant.
But... there’s that fear that lingers in my head... Before you lock this post...
I’m not asking if I’m pregnant

I’m asking, since I’m not on a second form of backup, like prescription birth control, is Plan B the right way to go in this situation?
Handful of questions:
Or am I wasting 60$ on a product I didn’t need cause I used the first method correctly?
Am I overusing too much protection?
Am I overthinking this situation due to it being my first time with intimacy?

Maybe it’s the stigma of this situation, and the way sex is threatened instead educated among teens... but my boyfriend said I’m fine, the unamused Planned Parenthood online-chat employee said I was fine, multiple friends say I’ll be fine!
Should I believe them, since they’re other sources that can verify that I’m over-thinking?

Maybe I am overthinking, but am I doing the right thing?
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Re: Did I Screw Up? Perhaps Not?

Unread post by Siân »

Emergency contraception is for use after a something that can cause a pregnancy, like unprotected sex, a condom obviously breaking or coming off or sexual assault. It is not designed to be a replacement for birth control.

You say "anything sexual sounds like an emergency". That makes me think you need to revisit your own sexual readiness whilst you figure out how to manage those anxieties.
Nonsequitur
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I’ve survived a week without crying
Pronouns: She/Her, They/Them
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by Nonsequitur »

Thanks! None of this helped me! :)
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Nonsequitur, Sian said in her answer that Plan B is designed for situations where birth control fails, or where it's not used. Since it sounds like neither of those apply to your situation, there's no reason to take Plan B (or be rude to our volunteers).

Too, since you are describing this incident as leading you to overthink and it sounds like even sexual instances where birth control was used correctly feel like potential emergencies, suggesting you examine your anxiety and your own comfort level with the sexual activities you're engaging in is sound.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic